Windows stuck in black screen after boot from installation media on a USB

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently my laptop unexpectedly started with the error:

"recovery
Your pc/device needs to be repaired
The boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors.
File:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcp
Error code:0xc0000185
You'll need to use recovery tools. if you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your pc administrator or pc/device manufacturer"

I have installed the media onto a flash drive and enabled secure boot in the boot configuration. however, when I boot from the USB drive (which it seems to be reading because it shows the usb's name as sandisk) it does not work correctly. when usb boot is selected the hp logo shows up with a loading wheel for about 5 minutes then the screen goes completely blank. Pressing any key does not do anything and in order to get anything to work I have to restart the computer.

Please help!!! :)

Reaction score
I have read multiple times that "secure boot" sometimes can be the culprit. If you turn it off, will it go through with the booting??

Reaction score
I have read multiple times that "secure boot" sometimes can be the culprit. If you turn it off, will it go through with the booting??

When I disabled it i am no longer prompted to boot from USB and I get returned to my original recovery error screen!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's probably important that you obtain the appropriate ISO that matches exactly your current installation, from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Then use Rufus from here http://rufus.akeo.ie/
TO prepare your boot media from that ISO as indicated here

Rufus.JPG

Reaction score
As Trouble brings up, we need to know how you made the flash drive to confirm its boot ability. A Fat32 formatted drive will boot to UEFI or Legacy but an NTFS formatted drive will not boot as UEFI.

Also, to select the USB drive during boot you need to start taping the correct F key very early in the process. On my Dell system it is F12 to get to the boot device menu.

If you get a chance, before you run any repair options from the drive would you be willing to get a copy of your current BCD store so we can check it to see what might have gone wrong. Many people have seen this same error message but no one knows how or why. We may have a fix for this if the Advanced Repair options will not fix it.

Open a command prompt window from the recovery environment. You can do this from the first page after the USB drive boots by selecting Shift + F10. If you have a flash drive which can be written to, try the following command and use the drive letter of the flash drive.

To find the flash drive Letter, use these commands

Diskpart
lis vol
exit

To copy over the BCD store use the command below and the drive letter of the USB drive from the diskpart listing.

bcdedit /enum all > F:\bcdtext.txt

If you don't want to go through this, I understand. If the BCD store is corrupted it may not work anyway.

Reaction score
It's probably important that you obtain the appropriate ISO that matches exactly your current installation, from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Then use Rufus from here http://rufus.akeo.ie/
TO prepare your boot media from that ISO as indicated here

View attachment 4316

I went through this process and followed the instructions. When I plug the USB with Rufus into my computer it no longer gives me the regular boot options and the USB starts running. The computer screen then flashes from a black non-light screen to a black light screen several times before coming to a steady black light screen. Did I do something incorrectly?

Reaction score
We have to get past this flash drive situation before anything else can get done. If your system is UEFI capable, Secure Boot or at least using UEFI media needs to be set in the Bios. If you don't have that set in the bios but show booting from UEFI or Legacy, you need to hit some F key to get to the Boot Device Menu or the Bios so you can pick the correct version of the boot media. The media has to be installed prior to booting or restarting.

So, let's back up some. You have the Win 10 .iso file you downloaded? If so, can you mount it and look at the files on it?

The Rufus utility should be formatting the drive as FAT 32 and then copying over the Installation files. The files on the drive should look like the attachment. The bcdtext.txt file will not be there since I was checking the directions I gave you to create one.

If you want to try to create the drive without Rufus, we can do that using the Administrative Command prompt window.

Directories.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's possible that if your computer will not boot at all from the USB or DVD device that you created, that you may have a more complex hardware issue that is preventing your computer from behaving normally.
What is the Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number of your laptop? How old is the laptop?

Can you or do you have the option of contacting the manufacturer to see if they have any recommendations that might help with your current issue?

Before attempting to boot from your boot media try a hard reset of the laptop.
Turn it off and disconnect it from the AC power adapter, remove the battery and then press and hold the power button for a count of 30.

Replace the battery, plug it back into the AC power adapter, insert the boot media and prepare to use the appropriate keyboard combination to evoke the factory one time boot menu key(s), dependent on the manufacturer.
HP = Esc, Dell = F12, for ASUS, Gateway and others you'll need to check to see what that might be, it could be anything from F2, F10, F11, etc.

There is even a slight possibility that it is expecting the boot media (if on a USB stick) to be available for boot from a particular USB port

Ask a Question