Windows 10 stuck on black screen & spinning dots on startup

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been unable to properly start up Windows 10, as it has been getting stuck on the black screen with spinning white dots at the bottom just before the login screen. I'm able to start Windows in safe mode, but whenever I try booting it normally I encounter the same problem. As far as I know, the problem started when I moved my computer (desktop) between houses via car, which led me to believe that it was a hardware issue. However, I've disassembled and reassembled it and couldn't find any issues, and having looked online for a solution, it seems that most people have had software issues that have caused it (I've obviously tried dozens of other solutions, none of which have helped). My PC is custom built, with the following specs: (if they help at all)
AMD FX6300
EVGA Geforce GTX 970
MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
Seagate 500GB HDD
Corsair VS650 PSU
HyperX Fury 2 x 4GB RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

None of the parts are particularly new, and my PC has run fine for months with them.
Any help will be much appreciated!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately though whenever I try to turn off fast boot either through safe mode or the bios, it turns itself back on when I restart, and the problem continues.

Reaction score
Do you have a wireless mouse or keyboard from Logitech connected to your PC? If so remove the little receiver plugged into the USB port and see if that helps. Your machine could have been in the midst of a cumulative update and there is an issue that's been identified with that brand of wireless mouse. If you don't have a wireless mouse plugged in, please ignore this post.

Reaction score
Do you have a wireless mouse or keyboard from Logitech connected to your PC? If so remove the little receiver plugged into the USB port and see if that helps. Your machine could have been in the midst of a cumulative update and there is an issue that's been identified with that brand of wireless mouse. If you don't have a wireless mouse plugged in, please ignore this post.
Unplugging the Logitech dongle immediately fixed this problem. The black screen disappeared and the green screen appeared showing the update progress. I believe the machine was updating anyway. I just could not see it.

Reaction score
Unplugging the Logitech dongle immediately fixed this problem. The black screen disappeared and the green screen appeared showing the update progress. I believe the machine was updating anyway. I just could not see it.

Based on what myself and others have seen this behavior is the result of updated security validation process and a wireless receiver from Logitech that is non compliant with the process. What we believe is that Microsoft is attempting to communicate with devices plugged into the USB ports during some updates. We think that Microsoft is waiting for the Logitech USB receiver to respond back to some query. Since the receiver cannot acknowledge the query the query process goes into a loop where the process continues to query the receiver over and over again and while it does all the user sees is a black screen with a moving circle of dots. However, as soon as you remove the procedure the loop is broken as Microsoft has nothing to wait on. Myself and others have went round and round with Logitech over this issue and they will acknowledge no problem but will suggest that you go out and buy a new receiver as this "might Help". What I've found is that as moment the black screen with the circle of dots disappears you can immediately re-insert the receiver back into the port and id your quick enough your mouse will be fully functional when the boot process has completed.

Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!!!! I have been reading so many forums about the locked screen on start up and nothing was allowing me to access bios, etc. I was beginning to think I was going to need to reset my computer and loose all my data. I removed the Logitech blue tooth fob and the problem was instantly solved! Moondoggy saved the day! Thank you again.

Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!!!! I have been reading so many forums about the locked screen on start up and nothing was allowing me to access bios, etc. I was beginning to think I was going to need to reset my computer and loose all my data. I removed the Logitech blue tooth fob and the problem was instantly solved! Moondoggy saved the day! Thank you again.

No problem. That's what these forums are all about...... Paying it forward. Perhaps you'll find something qwirky that solves a problem and you too will make some frustrated soul a happy camper. Your thanks is most appreciated.

Reaction score
No problem. That's what these forums are all about...... Paying it forward. Perhaps you'll find something qwirky that solves a problem and you too will make some frustrated soul a happy camper. Your thanks is most appreciated.
Thank you so much. I have had this problem up until recently as well. I was afraid my computer was on its way out, and this little bit of advice saved my bacon.

Ask a Question