Windows 10 vs. Windows 7

Reaction score
Six months ago I purchased a hp15 ba009dx laptop WITH WINDOWS 10 1607 and I normally use internet with the xfinity hotspots.I purchase those monthly passes because that is all I need from xfinity. Ths signal strength of the hotspot does vary from 30% to 60% .My gateway ne56r and toshiba a-215 work well with these hotspots.This computer with windows 10 and all the preinstalled drivers did not work well, it only works well with a signal of 65% or higher, doesnt work with these hotspots.For 6 months I could not use it because of it.So last month I went to my local library to see if its the hardware,as long as the signal is over 65% it works ok.

At the library I downloaded a windows 7 iso and put it on a usb and installed windows 7 on this hp 15,I found all the drivers for a similar machine and installed everything on this one and walaa it works great.I get internet as low as 30% signal strength.Yes this low signal under windows 7, I can get.Under windows 10 NOPE.My wifi adapter is a realtek 8188ee and its not the problem.The problem is either the windows 10 wifi drivers are the problem, yes they were updated or windows 10 networking is the problem.

So because of windows 10 drivers or windows 10 networking, I have to run an illegal copy of windows 7, even though I bought a brand new computer laptop with windows 10 preinstalled and activated,I cant use it with windows 10 at all for my circumstances.

Windows 10 is trash, I plan to try linux soon to see if linux works,I will have a dual boot.

Reaction score
I suggest if you wish to view Linux to download an .iso file used to create an exact duplicate of the original bootable LiveDVD. I like Linux Mint but it is based upon Ubuntu which would also be a good choice. Boot to which you choose and try it out.
www.linuxmint.com
www.distrowatch.org
https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
There's probably more than a hundred or two distributions/flavors of Linux available, most are free.

Reaction score
Your post indicates you are using quite an early release of Windows 10. You dont mention it, But have you tried to update it through to 1803? Many things have improved since the release you are using.
Currently, we are on ver 1803 Build 1734.167
f the problem is only with it unable to get a decent connection, then it may not help, but certainly worth a try.
My own opinion, but Windows 10 outclasses Windows 7 in most aspects, but probably does need a reasonably up to date computer.

Reaction score
Windows 10 is trash, I plan to try linux soon to see if linux works,I will have a dual boot.
As a long time linux user, and friends with a few linux experts, I would never advise dual booting any OS. There's too great a chance that an update to either can brick both OS's.

Reaction score
Your post indicates you are using quite an early release of Windows 10. You dont mention it, But have you tried to update it through to 1803? Many things have improved since the release you are using.
Currently, we are on ver 1803 Build 1734.167
f the problem is only with it unable to get a decent connection, then it may not help, but certainly worth a try.
My own opinion, but Windows 10 outclasses Windows 7 in most aspects, but probably does need a reasonably up to date computer.

Under windows 7 its working now with those xfinity hotspots.no need to go back to 10.Also I seen on the web windows 10 1803 will only allow software from the windows store.I love firefox and will not give it up.

Reaction score
You perhaps misread. Windows 10 will allow software downloads and installation from anywhere, including Firefox.

Reaction score
There's too great a chance that an update to either can brick both OS's.
That shouldn't be a problem. That is if both OS were installed to their own drive, as if they were the only OS. There is no way to confine Windows 10 to only one partition. So I wouldn't suggest dual booting both OS on the same drive, even if they were on separate partitions.

Reaction score
I am in a very initial stage of experimenting with Linux. I have little knowledge of handling the product(s)
Currently, on one of my laptops, I have been dual booting Linux (Zorin at the moment, but I have tried several) with Windows 10, on two separate partitions.. I installed Zorin from a live DVD - the program did all the work for me. I fished up with the initial horrible text boot, but showing Windows as a choice. I sorted this out with the help of Easybcd, and now have a graphical dual boot.
I agree with the sentiments of Bigfeet, regarding future updates, but am waiting with fingers crossed.

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiments of Bigfeet, regarding future updates, but am waiting with fingers crossed.
I am running Linux Mint 19 on a Notebook and a Desktop, neither has automatically forced updates. Because I tend to rehab computers instead of letting them go to the landfill I have Linux installed on both as the only OS, being free helps bunches. The Notebook is the only computer I have with an SSD drive, 120GB.

Reaction score
As a long time linux user, and friends with a few linux experts, I would never advise dual booting any OS. There's too great a chance that an update to either can brick both OS's.

Then I reinstall,no big deal.
But that wont happen because I tossed my windows 10 recovery disks in the trash.I will never use windows 10 ever.

Reaction score
That shouldn't be a problem. That is if both OS were installed to their own drive, as if they were the only OS. There is no way to confine Windows 10 to only one partition. So I wouldn't suggest dual booting both OS on the same drive, even if they were on separate partitions.
I've messed up the MBR on multiple occasions. Both from Windows Updates, and my own doing. Although fixable, it can be a pain in the behind.

Reaction score
Then I reinstall,no big deal.
But that wont happen because I tossed my windows 10 recovery disks in the trash.I will never use windows 10 ever.
Then you should just ace Windows 10 completely, and install linux to the entire disk (after backing up your data of course). I suggest trying linux by running it in a live environment for a while until you get used to navigating around. Do you have a distro in mind? I would suggest Linux Mint Cinnamon for a new user. It's extremely stable, the GUI is fairly close to a Windows 7 GUI, and it comes with a lot of useful software pre installed.

Reaction score
Then you should just ace Windows 10 completely, and install linux to the entire disk (after backing up your data of course). I suggest trying linux by running it in a live environment for a while until you get used to navigating around. Do you have a distro in mind? I would suggest Linux Mint Cinnamon for a new user. It's extremely stable, the GUI is fairly close to a Windows 7 GUI, and it comes with a lot of useful software pre installed.

I did and am keeping windows 7 on it because windows 7 works better than 10.I will keep 7 even when the updates stop.As for security I am not paranoid.Windows 10 is garbage.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I did and am keeping windows 7 on it because windows 7 works better than 10.I will keep 7 even when the updates stop.As for security I am not paranoid.Windows 10 is garbage.
You still have a year and a half of updates for Windows 7. So no need to upgrade yet. I would worry about not getting security updates after support ends though. It's been proven how dangerous XP is without security updates. I haven't had the issues with 10 that you have. I'm running it on 5 PC's, and have installed it at least 2 dozen times without major issues. And that's including some pretty old hardware.

Reaction score
I called microsoft and told them about this issue and that I want a new license for windows 7 instead of a windows 10 license because windows 10 is garbage. Microsoft refuses to grant me a legit windows 7 license on this laptop because windows 7 isn't sold by microsoft anymore and they told me only windows 10 on this laptop is supported. I also told them that I want some money back for not using windows 10,They said they don't refund money for non use of their operating systems anymore.

So I told them I will be running a non genuine version of windows.They must not care about the satisfaction of their customers anymore.

Reaction score
If one buys an OEM/Brand computer it comes with whatever OS they want on it and advertised as such, any refund would have to come from them, not Microsoft. The cost of a new computer includes the OS as advertised and as supported in its documentation. Generally Microsoft is out of the loop with the OEM having to support Windows for a limited time, 30, 60 or 90 days. After that Microsoft may charge for any support provided. It's pretty much been that way for a number of years, at least since I worked in a shop and built computers back mid-'90s. Or in shorter words, caveat emptor.

Reaction score
Microsoft refuses to grant me a legit windows 7 license on this laptop
I could have told you that. They gave you a certain amount of time to revert back to Windows 7/8.1. Also, Windows 7 is 9 years old. Not many companies guarantee their products that long.

Ask a Question