Windows 10 will not Shut Down

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have a desktop that I ran the update on from windows 7 up to windows 10.
When I go to shutdown on this system it appears to begin the shutdown process. However, after a few moments with black screens and appearing to have shut down, the PC near turns off and shows the BIOS splash screen and begins to start windows up again.

I have tried various troubleshooting options on the internet though only resulting in
- a screen every time I "shut down" that tells me that there has been an error and that the computer must restart, even though I was shutting it down in the first place... It also tells me that there is an error named "apple.sys" possibly causing the problem. The computer then restarts fine every time after that point though the only possible way of me shutting the computer down is manually holding the shut down button on my pc case. Then once I power up after that my computer fails to give power to my keyboard and mouse, to which I must then reset the BIOS every single time and then restart. This is the only way I can turn my pc back on after every time I manually power down - resetting the BIOS to bring power to my accessories. I dont really want to keep doing this every single night and plus I figure it must be bad for my pc.

I am now wondering if a clean install is my only option, or if there is some other way of keeping windows 10… just having it work properly.
Any troubleshooting or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
My suggestions only...............
1. Go to Settings > Update & Security > left side, Recovery > select Reset.

2. As you mentioned. Clean Install using the Win 10 ISO.

3. Go back to Win 7. Set Windows Update to Manual so that you don't get Win 10 downloaded without your consent. Let Microsoft work on improving the OS before you do the upgrade again. You have till July 28th 2016. Lots of time.

Ask a Question