Windows Shutdown!

Reaction score
I have a strange occurence suddenly after initial installation (Win 10 Pro) the system shuts down immediately after booting. The machine doesn't actually shut down, but the screen goes blank and nothing happens. I haven't been following Windows 10 closely enough lately so I may have missed some weird phenomenon happening. My past experience with Microsoft is that there's always something...

Has anyone seen this, or know what's causing it?

Thank you!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's not particularly unusual for that to happen for a few minutes.
Your best bet is to leave it sit for 10 minutes or so to see if anything changes and then if it's still black or blank try using the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination and see if that shakes anything up.

Reaction score
It's not particularly unusual for that to happen for a few minutes.
Your best bet is to leave it sit for 10 minutes or so to see if anything changes and then if it's still black or blank try using the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination and see if that shakes anything up.
Thanks for the reply. I did leave it for about 30 minutes and nothing happened. Also, using ctrl+alt+del didn't do anything either. After that, just tapping the power button shut it down immediately. Thanks again!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So …..
IS the problem that the system never shuts down properly
OR
IT never boots and loads a lock / sign-in / desktop screen.

Can you advise as to which version of Windows 10 you are loading
Home, Pro, Ent., Edu, etc.
1803 or the newer 1809???

A little information about the actual physical system might also help
AND
During this time with the black or blank screen do you see any activity (hard disk activity light) or hear any system sounds that might indicate that it is actually busy attempting to perform a task?
You say "after booting"....
As possibly indicated by the screens that you see, at what point are you seeing the black screen
As an example.... after you sign in.

Reaction score
So …..
IS the problem that the system never shuts down properly
OR
IT never boots and loads a lock / sign-in / desktop screen.

Can you advise as to which version of Windows 10 you are loading
Home, Pro, Ent., Edu, etc.
1803 or the newer 1809???

A little information about the actual physical system might also help
AND
During this time with the black or blank screen do you see any activity (hard disk activity light) or hear any system sounds that might indicate that it is actually busy attempting to perform a task?
You say "after booting"....
As possibly indicated by the screens that you see, at what point are you seeing the black screen
As an example.... after you sign in.
It boots, I login and gets a desktop screen, but then just goes blank. No activity, no noise, nothing. I tried Win Pro 1809, 1803, and 1709. It's a new machine that I was running a couple times previously but do most work on my laptop and a separate server in my office. It's been sitting for quite a while but hasn't been running recently. I even tried loading Win 7 Ultimate, but it was built for Win 10 and I don't have drivers for any of the hardware. Thanks for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It boots, I login and gets a desktop screen, but then just goes blank
Don't login...,.
Hold down the shift key while using the power icon (bottom right) to select restart.
That should get you into advance troubleshooting which should give you an option for "Startup Settings" which should allow you to boot into safe mode.
See if the computer behaves the same with a safe mode boot.

Reaction score
Don't login...,.
Hold down the shift key while using the power icon (bottom right) to select restart.
That should get you into advance troubleshooting which should give you an option for "Startup Settings" which should allow you to boot into safe mode.
See if the computer behaves the same with a safe mode boot.

Reaction score
There was no login button on the lower right. I installed Windows 7 on it and it'll run all day long without shutting down, but I don't have any Win7 drivers (most importantly the LAN drivers) for the ACER Aspire TC-780 macine. When in Win 10 I get a few steps into setting it up and then just quits.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I seem to have lost track of your goal.
IF it is simply to install Windows 7 and acquire the network adapter driver it is listed here as "Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program"
https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

However, that looks like a pretty nice system that came pre-installed with Windows 10 Home
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/DT.B5DEK.002

Your OP mentions Windows 10 Pro. I'm not sure how they may have entered the picture.
Did you acquire a license for the upgrade from Home to Pro?

Did the system ever run correctly with Windows 10 Home installed?
Have you considered restoring the system to factory settings?

Reaction score
I seem to have lost track of your goal.
IF it is simply to install Windows 7 and acquire the network adapter driver it is listed here as "Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program"
https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

However, that looks like a pretty nice system that came pre-installed with Windows 10 Home
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/DT.B5DEK.002

Your OP mentions Windows 10 Pro. I'm not sure how they may have entered the picture.
Did you acquire a license for the upgrade from Home to Pro?

Did the system ever run correctly with Windows 10 Home installed?
Have you considered restoring the system to factory settings?
It originally came with Home but I dumped it for Pro and it ran fine when I installed it but somewhere in time of sitting here It wasn't working so I reinsalled it. Now it won't stay running. Never had a problem before with reinstalling. I have considered restoring the system to factory settings but all of the original is gone.

Reaction score
I did get it to boot into Safe Mode and it contunues to run, but immediately shuts down if I try to boot nomrally. It's under warranty so I'm returning to let ACER deal with it...

Thanks for your help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Excellent idea.
Keep us posted as to how it all works out for you.

Reaction score
Excellent idea.
Keep us posted as to how it all works out for you.
I got the computer back (fixed) but ACER hasn't responded to what the problem was. I suspect the HDD, but who knows. Now my only problem is that the OS is the Home edition and they assigned it to the Public network. I can switch back and forth between Public and Private but can't get it to the Home network...

Ask a Question