SOLVED Windows 10 doesn't load after shutdown, only after restart

Reaction score
Title says it.

When I am done with my PC and I won't be on again for several hours I will shut it down. When I turn it back on it seems at first it will start like normal before going to a dark screen (not black but dark like its loading) and then nothing. It just stays there.
I will then hold the power button down for 3 seconds to get the PC to shut down and once I restart the computer all is well, starts like normal.
This happens -every- time. It's not intermittent.
This also only started after I downloaded Windows 10. Prior to installing Windows 10 this never happened.

I am not ranting or hating, I would just love to have my PC start like normal.

I am hoping not to trouble shoot but more that someone here has heard of this before or been through something similar and can offer a fix. However, all opinions and suggestions are welcomed!

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Mountain.

There are several possible causes, so there are several possible solutions, most of which aren't the right one. Here are two ideas that MIGHT work:

When your computer is off, unplug it and hold the power button for one minute. Then restart.

But an even better suggestion is to start your computer and walk away. One it gets its act together, your rig should start normally.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Click the start button and simply start typing...... Power Options
The control panel item should appear at the top of the list, click that.
In the left column select the link that says "Choose what the power buttons do"
At the top of that page click the link that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom under the section labeled "Shutdown settings"
Untick the check box that says "Turn on fast startup (recommended).
Click "Save changes"
Reboot once and then test if there are any changes to your cold boot problem.

Reaction score
I saw your response in my email Vince but since I had tried this I knew it wouldn't work. I came back today to post my reply (sorry for the delay) and saw Trouble's reply. I had not tried his solution so gave it a try and I am happy to announce.. IT WORKED!!

Thank you both for taking the time to help out and big thanks to Trouble for fixing an issue that has plagued me a long time!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure what it's all about, but that "fast startup" check box sure seems to produce a varied and wide range of weird problems for many people / computers.
I, particularly dislike it because I believe it is linked directly or perhaps indirectly to "hibernation" and if left enabled and for some reason you need to perform certain advanced troubleshooting, like "reset"......
You get the notorious "drive is locked" message as it sets a read only flag as part of the hibernation / fast startup function, leaving you to fuss with drive / partition / folder / file attributes.

Reaction score
Before the updates me and the wife's computers both ran fine. Afterwards her computer still ran fine but this problem started occurring on my PC.
Windows 10 dl'd itself as soon as it came out on her PC where as I triggered the dl myself for my PC using a 'how to' I found online. I always figured I brought the problem on myself by triggering the dl early. Not sure if that is the case or not but it's what I had concluded.
At any rate, it's all fixed now. I will make sure to disable it on her PC as well just in case.

Ask a Question