Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 - Can't connect iPhone 5S and have iTunes open

Reaction score
Upgraded from a 64 bit Windows 7 Home computer to Windows 10 via a DSL connect @ 3 MBPS connection speed (fastest I can get at my house). Had to let it run overnight/part of next day to complete. I did not get any error messages during installation.

Working with the new install of Windows 10 (I do tech support for a software company that supports our product which requires a Windows O/S), I wanted to be up-to-snuff on the product and see all the bells and whistles and get used to it before our tech support department got inundated.

Problem is that when I hook up my iPhone 5S to the USB port, it no longer will start the iTunes program - if I start iTunes, it opens, but the phone is not recognized under devices. Everything was fine before I did the upgrade. I have also tried changing USB cables to connect, and encounter the same issue.

I also found that when going into the Games (Solitaire), I get a message that it cannot connect. It lets me in, but there are those messages.

Both of these work fine on my Windows 10 computers at work, Solitaire and connecting the iPhone to them. I wonder if my download of the update somehow hung on something and didn't complete properly, or if something got corrupted during the upgrade process. I have also followed all the FAQs that pertained to the iPhone on the iTunes site, none of which fixed the issue.

Is there a way that I could download the Windows 10 again, to a USB drive from work and then bring home and do a repair? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Heck of a job on the Windows 10 release! I deal with customers that STILL are using Windows XP on their computers, because they don't want to change, and I am MOST HIGHLY recommending this upgrade to them.

Thank you for your assistance!

Reaction score
Thank you Roddie. I tried the support.apple site, but I had already done all that. I went ahead and reverted back to Windows 7, and everything worked fine.

However, in trying to check out if the update had somehow messed up, I attempted to do the upgrade from the computer again, all files downloaded, and I ran the upgrade installer again, then hit a spot and gave an error message something about an IMAGE, and it reverted (restored) my previous version (Windows 7). I had also made a Media Creator disk image, and ran that, same thing.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the upgrade again? (Wondering if there is some sort of 'trigger' that if you revert back, prevents you from redoing the upgrade?)

Thank you!

Reaction score
Ok you have confirmed what I suspected. Windows 10 has corrupted your Windows 7 image file. You didn't give error code however this happened to me with 8.1 trying to go back to 7. You can go to system file checker by entering "sfc/scannnow" into command prompt and let it repair corrupted system files or you may have missing files. If that doesn't work you may have to use your Windows 7 disc and reinstall system.

Reaction score
Roddie-

I FINALLY have it fixed. Convoluted, but systematically went through Internet Explorer -> OPTIONS -> ADVANCED -> and look for USE TLS 1.0 (1.1, 1.2) and check it. Then went into the APPS and uninstalled iTunes, rebooted computer, then redownloaded the iTunes installer (iTunes6464Setup.exe) and reinstalled. I also then found that my HP 8600 printer was involved in it as it is a wired network connection providing wireless printing, so went through and completely uninstalled all the HP items for it, then rebooted computer, and then disconnected the ethernet cable to the printer, and then reinserted the DVD and reinstalled the printer and drivers, following the prompts. After reboot of computer, plugged the iPhone in and iTunes pops right up and recognizes the iPhone!

Hope this helps, and anyone else that may have the issue.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Ted

Ask a Question