Windows 8.1 Updating to windows 10

Reaction score
I just got a new Pc its windows 8.1 IPREINSTALLED). I HAVE OVER 1,600 mbs of updates to install. im trying to upgrade to windows 10. so do I need to install these updates?

Reaction score
I don't know but I suspect that the W10 update will only work properly on a fully uptodate system.

BUT I guess it should be fine on a system updated only to the August 29 state.

Reaction score
I upgraded Windows 7 SP1, immediately after loading the OS, without updating. All I did was load the network adapter drivers. It upgraded without a hitch.

Reaction score
I just got a new Pc its windows 8.1 IPREINSTALLED). I HAVE OVER 1,600 mbs of updates to install. im trying to upgrade to windows 10. so do I need to install these updates?
Short answer, No.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is a requirement for 8.1 just like Windows 7 requires SP1, Windows 8.1 needs to be Windows 8.1 w/update.
Don't ask me what that means, but..... there is a sizeable update to Windows 8.1 that must be present for the Windows 10 free upgrade to function.
Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required.
SOURCE: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Latest OS:

Make sure you are running the latest version of either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
Don’t know which version you are running? Check here to find out. Need to download the latest version? Click here for Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
SOURCE: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications

Reaction score
please do not upgrade to windows 10, you will live to regret the shambles it really is

Reaction score
Hi. I've upgraded 8.1 PCs with Win 10 boot disks and they appear to work regardless of 8.1. update state

Reaction score
Hi. I've upgraded 8.1 PCs with Win 10 boot disks and they appear to work regardless of 8.1. update state
I upgraded Windows 7 SP1 Home without the updates, see my post above but our comments seem to be falling on deaf ears.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 is all that is required to make it eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade.
Windows 8.1 on the other hand requires an update, which changes it from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 w/update, which I believe is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42335
To make it eligible for the upgrade to Windows 10.
This may happen automatically if you attempt the upgrade as part of the "installing required updates" process. IDK for sure.

Ask a Question