Windows completely ignores any speed and duplex setting for 2 years

Reaction score
I've had an issue for about 2 years now, which is apparently causing my Windows 10 Pro to completely ignore any cmd or speed & duplex setting. Before you say anything, no, my cable is not damaged at all, I've got an ethernet cable that runs 100 mbps smoothly on other computers that are connected to it, however when I have it plugged into my pc, windows just caps the speed at 10 mbps. I've tried absolutely everything that I could think of, which ranges from editing group policies, doing netsh stuff in the cmd and powershell, managing services, changing speed & duplex settings to resetting windows.
The necessary thing that I'd like to mention, is that I'm a 100% certain that my PC can stand 100mbps connection, as I had come to a fix to this situation before, unfortunately which was only temporary.
This problem is getting me headaches constantly and I've run out of ideas, so I sincerely beg you guys to please help me and educate with some magic that maybe no one is familiar with :D

Here's my pc specs if you need them:

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb 3200mhZ
GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super
PSU: Be quiet! 650W

Sincerely,
Thankq

Reaction score
Having a few minutes I looked up the motherboard and believe the onboard network adapter should support 10/100/1000Mbps, also known as Gigabit [b is bit, B is Byte, 8 bits = 1 Byte]. When seeing possible hardware issues I boot to a Linux LiveDVD to check if the issue is or is not with Windows. Two possible solutions without replacing the motherboard, one is to use a Wireless/Wi-Fi 802.11ac or 802.11ax USB Dongle and the other is to use a Add-in PCIe X1 or X4 Network card.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would replacing the motherboard be a solution in this case? If yes, what would you suggest?

Reaction score
Is the motherboard still in warranty? If so pursue that avenue. The main thing in replacing a motherboard is if one can be found that will accept your CPU and RAM, otherwise it could get more expensive.

Reaction score
I've come to a solution myself. I've decided to go into bios and to look for an answer myself. While doing a bit of digging I stumbled across a tab that was called 'board explorer'. It basically gives you info about what you've got plugged in what ports, what ports are free etc. I came up with an idea to look into the LAN_0 port and I saw that the motherboard was recognizing as if the cable was giving the PC an input of speed of only 10 mbps. I started to think about this and had come to a realization that the port is damaged, so I decided to try an ethernet to usb type c adapter. It worked and I'm now happier than ever I guess :D. Sorry for all the trouble that I'd caused you but I thank you so much for all that effort you did to try and help me!

Reaction score
No trouble, I've been helping folks with computers for over 25 years, new vocation after retiring. Glad you found a reasonable solution, I've had to do the same in the past, still have a USB to RJ45 adapter on the workbench.

Ask a Question