windows could not find driver for your netword

Reaction score
Hi - 2 days ago no internet connection and msg that windows could not find driver for network adapter. Resolved by system restore. Today same issue in the morning and had to system restore 48 hours. Added some virus software and again driver lost and did another system restore. Not a computer person and am worried this may be a virus? or ongoing problem. Anyway else experience this?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi SueJ,

Welcome to the forum.

Did you upgrade from an earlier OS to Windows 10?

If yes, do you know whether you had Cisco VPN client installed?

What brand and model of computer are you using?

What brand and model of router are you using?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. Don't know about Cisco VPN client. (do I need this?) computer is Gateway DX4822 and router is D-Link Model: Dir-615. My concern is that computer has acquired some kind of bug and with new additions to computer the driver will again be not found(don't know if this makes sense?). I have been using Windows 10 for at least 4 months and have had no previous issues. Thanks for any help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Sue,

I asked about Cisco VPN as this in the past worked fine with Windows but currently has cause troubles like you are experiencing with Windows 10 and at this time the simplest solution is to remove its Registry entries which trigger the issue.

Apart from that your particular model router is not one the works well with Cisco services in the first place.

The quickest way to check whether this may be the issue is to query the registry to check for a particular key.
  • Right-click on Start then left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • A UAC Confirmation dialog will pop up. Click Yes
  • At the command prompt type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    reg query "HKCR\CLSID\{988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3}"

Press Enter key to execute command.

If this particular key exists the contents of the key will be displayed.

If the key does not exist you will see an error message: "ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value."

Could you let me know the results of this reg query please.

It's unlikely a virus or malware is causing this particular issue given the symptoms while annoying are relatively benign. May I ask why you believe you could be affected with a virus in this particular case? Has your antivirus software reported an issue? If yes, what did it report?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi - all is working well this morning so I am going to leave it for now. Thanks for help.

Ask a Question