SOLVED Windows couldn’t connect to ProfSvc server

Reaction score
after installing latest window 10 update I now find that windows won’t accept my password/passcode. Have seem similar problems on forum and have tried starting in safe mode, starting & pressing f8 but no luck. Screen appears to say pc is in aeroplane mode, again as mentioned in forums. How do I get it back working, pc less than 1 year old!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I now find that windows won’t accept my password/passcode
You might be able to rescue your computer by enabling the normally hidden / disabled Administrator account and use that to possibly fix the password problem on your local user account.
You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
The Media Creation Tool there, can help you construct bootable media
OR.....
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD, http://imgburn.com/
or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, http://rufus.akeo.ie/
either of which you can use to boot your computer.

THEN...
Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

Reaction score
Only have this windows pc + an apple tablet. So no way to download installation media. Any suggestions

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This is where one might typically rely on relatives, friends or neighbors for help.

There is a technique, albeit somewhat inelegant for getting into the Windows PE environment, where.....
You use the physical power button to interrupt the boot process, preventing Windows from loading, you might try that....
When you see some indication (spinning circle of dots or windows logo) that Windows is about to load, press and hold the power button on the device until all lights and noise cease.

This can take multiple tries often as many as three before you will see a message that will ultimately lead you to Troubleshooting -> Advanced Troubleshooting -> and from there you should have a few choices / options

Troubleshoot.JPG

AdvancedOptions.JPG

CommandPrompt.JPG

You mention that
have tried starting in safe mode, starting & pressing f8 but no luck
AND
It's not clear as to whether or not you have actually tried any of these options or have been unsuccessful getting to them.

Reaction score
Have got to the advanced options screen, but it still won’t let me do anything because it needs a password. Maybe I haven’t started in safe mode, but can’t see how else to do it. When I follow steps for doing it, as stated on another forum, I come straight to the troubleshoot/advanced options screen. Confused...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe I haven’t started in safe mode
The option for "Startup Settings" in advanced troubleshooting should support booting into safe mode, although I suspect that you might run into the same password requirement, but maybe not. Should be choice #4 when you get to that screen. The fact that Safe Mode doesn't support the loading of some drivers may actually be helpful.
Screen appears to say pc is in aeroplane mode
IS your machine equipped with an RJ45 jack to support a standard cable connection for networking rather than wireless?

It would seem that the Windows RE (Recovery Environment) relies on the underlying OS, where booting from external media into the Windows PE (Pre-Installation Environment) does not.
That's why I suggested using the Media Creation Tool to construct bootable media.

Reaction score
Have started it in safe mode, but still won’t accept password. Also using standard cable connection has no effect. Have checked again and pc is not in airplane mode,
To recap: after installing upgrade f6 button was illuminated on keyboard. I switched it off, thinking it was accidental. When pc restarted a file shaped symbol with a Red Cross appeared in the bottom right corner of screen, along with a battery symbol. Clicking on the Red Cross produced another box with “airplane mode” on it. Switching this on and off has had no effect.
How can something that’s supposed to make your pc better make it totally useless?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How do I get it back working, pc less than 1 year old!
As a possible last resort.....
Many PCs come with a factory reset partition which supports re-setting the computer to its' factory state when first purchased.
You may want to look into this as a possible option.

NOTE: Frequently this results in complete data loss however a few have an option to backup data to external media as an option.

See if the computer manufacturer's web site has any documentation referencing this utility.
Additionally, since the computer is less than a year old, you should have some available resources through the manufacturer's warranty process, among which maybe a method to have them mail you factory media which generally is bootable and may provide you with a means to restore the computer to factory condition.

Reaction score
Just to chime in here, there are a few threads on Microsoft Answers about this as well, but so far no official acknowledgement yet. As best as I can tell, something catastrophically fails in the update process and it results in the file corruption of many core operating system files. It is not possible to recover the OS without doing a reset, and even then, there seems to be some risk of the issue carrying over.

If you can, try and report it Microsoft. They need to understand this is a very serious and inexcusable issue. While the number of affected users seems relatively low so far, the damage this causes is monumental and is a direct result of their insistence on forcing users to update without explicit instruction. People without rather advanced technological expertise are left with no choice but to hire professional assistance to be able to use their computer again.

To be clear, this is not from routine hardware failure or the result of inevitable drive degradation -- it is the result of poorly written and inadequately tested software.

Reaction score
Hi, finally solved this. May not be same solution for all, but this is ridiculously simple. My laptop is a hp pavilion; bought 2017. Restart from locked screen, pressing shift & clicking on restart at the same time, at blue screen select troubleshoot, next screen, select reset this pc (there is an option here to save your data, but I was past caring by then and only had a couple of files stored anyway!). PC returned to factory settings, ready to go!
Of course there are now updates to be installed......
Also, does anyone know how to actually make a complaint to Microsoft?

Reaction score
Update on this. Exactly same thing happened when pc loaded the automatic updates. Now my “fix” didn’t work as it said files were missing and it couldn’t load. Haven’t tried recently as I can’t be bothered. Can you stop the auto updates and would it be a prob if I did, or at least load them one at a time?

Ask a Question