Windows Display identifying monitors incorrectly

Reaction score
I have a dual monitor setup. A Philips 32 inch is my main screen and a HP 27 inch my secondary.

In display my No.1 monitor(Philips) is selected as main display but when I click Identify it shows my secondary monitor(HP) as No.1

All my apps, games open on my secondary monitor.

I have a Radeon R9 380 graphics card and it shows my main display as the secondary monitor. I cant change the display in the Radeon app it just opens up the windows 10 display window.

I have tried disabling my secondary monitor rebooting opening a couple off apps then connecting my second monitor. The apps that I opened then move to the secondary monitor??

Changing the main display to secondary and back to primary doesn't change anything.

Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Have you tried changing the connections to the GPU? Most GPUs have a primary, secondary, tertiary... output. From memory, some GPUs have conditional qualities like this: HDMI socket 1 is primary but if the DVI socket is used then DVI will supersede HDMI socket 1 and socket 2. Using onboard video with a GPU can also cause this kind of behaviour, or did some years ago.

Reaction score
As soon as I read your answer, I thought "that sounds smart" - I tried it and it worked. Thank you so much!

I cannot tell you how much time I spent trying to do this through the Windows software. As with most computer problems, the answer seems completely obvious only after I have wasted hours taking a different approach. And then I don't know if I should celebrate or feel like an idiot! Thank you once more.

Ask a Question