Windows Explorer menu tree

Reaction score
I went directly from Win XP to Win 10.

One of the things I miss the most is the the way the all XP address fields had drop down menu trees.

I find this so much more convenient than how Win 10 does it in most instances, A typical example of this when saving a word document. When you click on the down arrow to the right of the address field, it renders a blank menu, leading to the only alternative...the annoying chore of having to scroll thru the navigation panel.

This doesn't make sense to me. Why a blank menu? Why is the arrow there in the first place? Confusing on so many levels.

Is there a remedy for this? Am I missing something purposeful here?

thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a remedy for this? Am I missing something purposeful here?
I don't think that you are actually "missing something", except the fact that "File Explorer" is not at all like you might have been used to in XP.
I assume that what you are talking about is the drop down arrow associated with the "Save" or "Save As" or in fact the File Explorer in general "Address Bar"
That particular function / feature is populated by paths that you actually have "typed" into it and maintained in the Windows Registry here.....
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths

Capture.PNG

There are a lot of things that I liked about the old Windows Explorer that are no longer a feature nor function of the new File Explorer, for example.....
The way you used to be able to see shares indicated by the little hand icon underneath each folder that was shared. I liked that, but....
I got over it.
Bottom line.... IF you want that address bar to actually contain items / locations, then you're going to need to actually, physically, type them in and hit enter.
HINT: Common locations like Documents, Downloads, Music, Video, Pictures, etc., Just click an empty area of that address bar and type the word and hit enter.

Ask a Question