Windows Explorer problem

Reaction score
Didn't see this particular problem addressed yet. When I have the "Downloads" folder open and move content from that folder to another one on the computer I sometimes just want to move part of the content in the downloaded folder. Sometimes there's photos (jpg) or track list (txt) that I just want to delete.

But after moving the files I want, windows explorer will not let me delete the parts that are left. It says it is open in another process which needs to be closed first. I get this even when there is nothing running at all that I can find with the Task Manager. The only programs running are the Task Manager itself and windows explorer. I've closed everything and reopened the download folder but still it won't let me delete that folder that I've removed part of the contents from. It still says it's open in another process.

The very awkward fix I've found for this problem is to kill windows explorer (you're left with a totally black screen). Then restart it through the task manager. After that the folder I want to delete will delete with no problem. This is becoming a real hassle since there are many folders I download like this, where I just want to save part of the contents and delete the rest. This problem only started after a Windows 10 Tuesday upgrade.

Is this a problem Microsoft introduced with an upgrade or is something corrupted on my computer that causes this problem? Anyone else had this experience?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Larrydonline,

A couple of thoughts come to mind you could experiment with to see if it resolves your issue.

Option One:
  • Open the Downloads folder
  • Click on File
  • Click on "Change folder and search options"
  • Click on the 'View' tab
  • Scroll down and remove the check mark (if present) next to the item: "Launch folder windows in a separate process"
  • Click Apply
You may need to restart Explorer.exe or restart PC at this point to allow change to take place.

Option Two:
  • If you have your preview pane open in this folder, try shutting it off as preview is a process

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Reg. I didn't have "separate process" selected.

I've never used preview pane and don't know where the setting is to bring it up or turn it on.

Further experimentation showed me that if I open other folders within the Download folder (I might have to click on several) then go back to the problem folder that I can then delete it. Apparently opening other folders takes the system's focus away from the problem folder and closes whatever in windows.exe that was hanging it up. That's a little more efficient that killing windows.exe and restarting it, but just barely.

Reaction score
I cannot figure why you are having the problem, larry, but the attached might alleviate it.

It recycles the explorer in an instant, without loss of anything on your desktop. I have changed the extension, in order to upload it. Change it back to reset.bat and put it on your desktop.

Attachments

• Reset.txt
    61 bytes · Views: 592

Ask a Question