SOLVED Windows File Explorer - how to expand fields

Reaction score
Hello. Unfortunately I couldn't find any answers googling my questions, so I hope I can find help here. Never had these problems with WinXP or 7. I attached a picture, where I tried to show what I need. Sorry in advance for my English, not my first language, I hope it's not too confusing.

"1" - I'd like to be able to set my customization permanently. I need that field where the address will be displayed wide, and the the search field narrow. I don't need the search field so ridiculously wide. After customizing my view there, I went to view / options / view tab / and under folder views I clicked "Apply to Folders" / OK. But this won't stick, I find myself having to adjust this on regular, the search field uses about 75% of the width, address bar 25%, who really works like that?

"2" - When I enter my search, the results displayed are very narrow, because I never see the whole project name I'm searching for. If the name is a bit longer, it will be cut off and those "..." dots at the end. Great. But how can I expand this, so I can see the whole name? There is no grabber on top to stretch the view to the right, like it normally works in file explorer if you go there without the search. You simply are able to expand the name column field there on top <-|->

Attachments

• Explorer problems.jpg
    Explorer problems.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
Basically File Explorer display is like a spreadsheet or maybe database, all the columns in the right panel have a heading or column name, each has a separator bar between the names that when moving the mouse pointer over that bar turns it to a double-headed arrow. That bar can be moved by click and drag or simply double-clicking to expand to the full amount of the alphanumberic text. If it's too wide a horizontal scrollbar will show at the bottom. Those columns can also be right-click to show more columns to add or remove depending upon need/desire.

Reaction score
Thanks Bighorn. If I understand you right, I knew this already from file explorer, but all these panels, separators, etc. are not there anymore after you receive your search results in the windows file explorer. I attached a screenshot in my 1st post, there you can see I have no control any longer to expand anything. That's why I was hoping to find help here. Also about file explorer memorizing my settings...

Does maybe someone else have an idea, or could confirm that there is no way, and I have to live with how it is?

Reaction score
Search in File Explorer does hide some of the icons on the Ribbon but they come back when Search has been closed.

Before and after Search:

1647981914741.png

During Search:

1647981951072.png

Reaction score
Thanks again Bighorn. I think my English is just too confusing. And I should have split my question / picture into 2 treads. My apologize. What I'm looking for is, when the search results popup, the results are cut off (file name is cut off and "..." is added. We have many projects starting with the same name, but they're all different at the end of the file name. So I'd like to expand the view, to see what the search found, and not having to guess, and go through every file / folder from the search result.

Reaction score
I "think" [yeah, it's dangerous] what is desired is in the Details view of File Explorer and the width of the column/s. Each column can have its width adjusted in 2 ways, one is move the cursor to the faint vertical bar between the column names until it turns to a double-headed arrow and double-click or simply click and drag until the width is suitable. The double-click will automatically adjust to the maximum width of the text in the column. The dots at the end of the file name indicate there is more text to it, two examples in this image:

1647997196857.png

Reaction score
Thanks for the hint. Yes going to view and switching from "Content" to "Details" does the trick. Nice. Though it would have been great to be able to (like you say) hover on top, if those expanders would appear...

Does your explorer view always look like that in the picture? Wide address bar, shorter search field? I have to adjust this every time, or after restarting, I wish this adjustment could be saved.

This is how I start my explorer
Capture.JPG

But would be nice to have it start always like that
Capture1.JPG

Good night!

Reaction score
My Address bar and Search bar are different sizes. File Explorer generally reopens in the same state as when closed.

1647998827264.png

Reaction score
Usually that works for me too like that, but I'm noticing I have to re-adjust this from time to time again. I was hoping there is an option somewhere to save the state of my adjustment for good. Thanks for all your help.

Ask a Question