Windows File Explorer

Reaction score
Ok - know this has come up before .. once again I am very tired of Microsoft determining what is best for me - cause they have NO CLUE.

Is there a way to DISABLE in file explorer this stupid thing from showing me Quick Access, Libraries ETC .. I want the thing to open at the root directory of my drive ONLY and every time.

Secondly - is there a way to disable the auto locating (not sure what to call it) feature in file explorer - .. when I navigate to a location - I WANT IT TO STAY THERE .. not jump around again like it thinks it knows what I want - IT DOESNT

It cant be more annoying!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
If you click "View" on the top menu, and then the navigation pane, over on the left, you can deselect the libraries (etc)
If you google for a method to remove quick access, there is a registry edit which will do it.
I prefer to leave the registry, as much as possible. All I have done is Settings - Personalisation - Start. And said no to all the options there. This leaves the Quick access as an item, but it is unpopulated.
You may know you can further improve this in the folder settings. In the "General" panel, select the option to open the File explorer in "This PC"

Not sure on your last. I am afraid I have not experienced it.

Ask a Question