Windows Live Mail problem.

BSM

Reaction score
I a WLM on my Windows 10 computer. After a recent Window update around 20th Augt.2020, I have been unable to read my incoming emails. I get the notation 'Message Could Not Be Displayed'. Windows live mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.

Naturally these possibilities have been checked together with others such as deleting WLM and reinstalling, asking for the program to be repaired etc. All with no success.
I can still open and read emails received before the aforementioned date.
Any help would be appreciated in being able to read my emails.
Thank you for any help you can give.
BSM

Reaction score
Double-posting or bumping doesn't really help in getting us volunteers responding, someone with knowledge may not see it right away.

Which version of WLM are you using? Version 2012 was the last and sometimes reinstalling it helps but may be hard to find a download to do it.

T_J

Reaction score
I have 2012 Dell desktop with Windows 10 v1909 and use W10 Mail app. I checked today and Windows Update says my PC is up to date, but no 2004 for me (yet).

Also have windows live mail version 2012 program. I checked today, and it works and receives emails (I can open & read all my email contents from today or last year).

what version of Windows 10 do you have?
what version of windows live mail do you have?
what update did you get on 20th? [only update I got on the Aug 20 was kb4570723, and no updates since the 20th]

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've gotten Version 2004 on Aug 11 on my main computer and some Notebooks since.
1598902608169.png

BSM

Reaction score
Double-posting or bumping doesn't really help in getting us volunteers responding, someone with knowledge may not see it right away.

Which version of WLM are you using? Version 2012 was the last and sometimes reinstalling it helps but may be hard to find a download to do it.

Hello.
My apologies for double posting. It was not intentional. At 79 years of age we are not as conversant with procedure as younger folk.

I am using WLM 2012.
I stated that I had uninstalled and reinstalled WLM more than once and tried repairing it using the inbuilt program, but without effect.
With very limited knowledge of computers, I have to rely on the good offices of such people as yourself to help when I am unable to fix it myself.
Any suggestions are always welcome.

BSM

Reaction score
Not an expert, just a member trying to help.
I read on random pages, that MS are trying to move people from WLM, by exporting to Outlook, or similar. It could be in your interests to move on.
But, It could be a security problem. Try a reinstall in Admin mode, if not already done. and then, when installing,

In the checkbox ‘Manually Configure Server Settings.’
What server types under" Incoming Server Information" do you have?
In Server Address, what type of server address and port number?
Tick ‘Requires a secure connection SSL’ section
Tick ‘Requires Authentication,’
Click Next and see if it works better

BSM

Reaction score
Not an expert, just a member trying to help.
I read on random pages, that MS are trying to move people from WLM, by exporting to Outlook, or similar. It could be in your interests to move on.
But, It could be a security problem. Try a reinstall in Admin mode, if not already done. and then, when installing,

In the checkbox ‘Manually Configure Server Settings.’
What server types under" Incoming Server Information" do you have?
In Server Address, what type of server address and port number?
Tick ‘Requires a secure connection SSL’ section
Tick ‘Requires Authentication,’
Click Next and see if it works better
Have tried all these more than once still without success. Thank you for your suggestion. I have had to move on and am now using Outlook. Pity as I was so familiar with WLV and liked its set up. Was nice and easy, but have had to bite the bullet and move on. Thank you for your efforts.
BSM.

Reaction score
Simple fix, Worked for me! WLM gets corrupted during the update.

Regedit:
In the registry under

Computer \ HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows Live Mail

Create these 3 DWORD entries (were not available for me) or change to 1 if they exist

RecreateFolderIndex = 1
RecreateStreamIndex = 1
RecreateUIDLIndex = 1

Restart Windows Live Mail. Then the message display goes back to normal for me and the 3 values in the registry are reset to 0. Can be left as it is.

Reaction score

Regedit:
In the registry under

Create these 3 DWORD entries (were not available for me) or change to 1 if they exist

RecreateFolderIndex = 1
RecreateStreamIndex = 1
RecreateUIDLIndex = 1

Restart Windows Live Mail. Then the message display goes back to normal for me and the 3 values in the registry are reset to 0. Can be left as it is.

Thank you! My Mum was having this exact same problem, and thanks to your post I was able to get her back up and running very quickly. So this is a "thank you" from both of us!

Reaction score

Regedit:
In the registry under

RecreateFolderIndex = 1
RecreateStreamIndex = 1
RecreateUIDLIndex = 1

I KNOW NEXT TO ZERO ABOUT MANIPULATING THE REG. SAME PROBLEM JUST THIS WEEK.
SAME SOLUTION AS YOU SPECIFIED. FANTASTIC !!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Reaction score

Regedit:
In the registry under

RecreateFolderIndex = 1
RecreateStreamIndex = 1
RecreateUIDLIndex = 1

Thank you!!!! Great solution worked for me.

Reaction score

Regedit:
In the registry under

RecreateFolderIndex = 1
RecreateStreamIndex = 1
RecreateUIDLIndex = 1

Thank you, works perfectly!

Reaction score
Are there spaces in between dwords “index = 1”? I tried this and it didn’t work for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my last Windows upgrade
Edition Windows 10 Enterprise
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎8/‎24/‎2021
OS build 19042.1165
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

The Fix provided by RupertofOz WORKS like a charm!!!
If you are not familiar in how to create the DWORD in Regedit just go to:
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-add-a-new-dword-in-regedit

Thank you again and God bless.

Paco

Reaction score
Thanks to RupertofOz above.

Fantastic, searched everywhere, tried this and worked immediately.

Get a command prompt via the "start" button then using Windows PowerShell (Admin).
Be patient - it takes a while to load and eventually shows C:\windows\system32> or similar
Type "regedit" and press enter, which brings up registry editor.
RecreateFolderIndex = 1
RecreateStreamIndex = 1
RecreateUIDLIndex = 1

NB :
I found the 3 lines which were showing "0"
Click on each line and right click to "modify", change the value data to "1"
Close the regedit page.
Restart WLM
IT WORKS!

BSM

Reaction score
I had to call in a professional computer problem solver some months ago which although was costly, has enabled me to continue using Windows live mail.
Than you all for your contributions.
BSM

Reaction score
I had to call in a professional computer problem solver some months ago which although was costly, has enabled me to continue using Windows live mail.
Than you all for your contributions.
BSM
I upgraded to windows 10 and had the same issue, I then decided to activate windows mail, it's a pretty good mail program, just have to find a way to import all the folders from WLM into your Mail setup folders. Of course if you have Gmail you can also log into Gmail but what is great about mail is that it has multiple email addresses down the left side and it's super easy to access all your mail. It took less than 2 minutes to set up and no error messages.

Ask a Question