Windows May 10th release

Reaction score
That's certainly going to pretty much kill those tablets and Notebooks that have only 32GB total storage [actually less than 30GB after formatting] to begin with. I would think in those cases a fully clean install would be necessary. I guess a $137 investment 3 years ago isn't too bad if I have to give it up, it relies on a MicroSDXC card for data and with some updates a USB Thumb drive.

EDIT: Just recalled another situation that would be involved. I have a Vostro 1510 Notebook with RAM maxed at 4GB, needing more RAM for some large file work I added an 8GB SDHC card to get the ReadyBoost feature, works fine but in the described situation will have to remember to remove it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got the impression that this would be temporary but I bet a lot of people, like me will have a USB3 backup drive plugged in.

Reaction score
Just hope it doesn't see my wireless mouse as a storage device - lol.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
An interesting note in arstechnica.com that the new release will be blocked from machines with a USB storage device plugged in

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...e-blocked-for-anyone-using-usb-or-sd-storage/
From the horse's mouth.....
Take Away.... The drive reassignment is not limited to removable drives. Internal hard drives can also be affected.
Cause
Inappropriate drive reassignment can occur on Windows 10-based computers that have an external USB device or SD memory card attached during the installation of the May 2019 update. For this reason, these computers are currently blocked from receiving the May 2019 Update. This generates the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section if the upgrade is tried again on an affected computer.
Example: An upgrade to the May 2019 Update is tried on a computer that has a thumb drive inserted into a USB port. Before the upgrade, the device would have been mounted in the system as drive G based on the existing drive configuration. However, after the upgrade, the device is reassigned a different drive letter. For example, the drive is reassigned as drive H.
Note The drive reassignment is not limited to removable drives. Internal hard drives can also be affected.
SOURCE: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...d=_fdgqxge1qokfr26c2j3ttrvko32xmu0ywppl99j200

Reaction score
I'd wonder if this would also apply to partitioned drives such as C: and D: being on the only physical drive?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Who knows.... I certainly don't.
I think I remember reading back during the days of DOS and early Windows (maybe 3) that partition lettering is secondary and occurs after the physical devices are lettered.
AND
I know you can circumvent that with Disk Management and remove and reassign drive letters to your heart's content but I think left to its' own devices Windows pretty much still adheres to that practice. I know because I always have to reassign my optical drives D: and E: to X: and Z: like I like them.
AND
Now with GPT allowing 128 partitions that might all be seriously out the window.
thud.gif

Reaction score
Cause: Inappropriate Windows Installation

Going on the third consecutive iteration of BS [if not more].

I never wanted to say this but MS is on a path to self-destruction.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I remember not so long ago.... might have been XP or maybe before....
IF you installed with one of those Iomega Zip drives attached, it was a fair bet that your install, when done would be on a drive other than C:\
Happened to me more than once before it dawned on me.

Reaction score
IF you installed with one of those Iomega Zip drives attached, it was a fair bet that your install, when done would be on a drive other than C:\
Yeah, since they were an IDE connection [same as PATA/Parallel ATA] I always set it as a Slave to the ODD/Optical Disc Drive. I started in '92 with MS-DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 on an AMD 80386/40MHz.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What really gets me though is
Status

This issue will be resolved in a future servicing update for Windows 10.
I don't get it, why don't they delay the release and fix it and roll out the damn thing FIXED!
Who is all hair on fire to get their hands on this thing anyway?

Reaction score
I know because I always have to reassign my optical drives D: and E: to X: and Z: like I like them.
Some versions ago, maybe Win7 or earlier, Windows would set the drive letters for Mapped Network drives such as NAS starting with Z: and working back up the alphabet. Mine are on Z: and Y:.

Reaction score
One result of earlier build upgrades was folks being left with an EFI System partiton with a drive letter, normally Z.. That has been going on for years.

Is an SD card considered an external drive, it is USB device.... :eek: They really need to work on an understandable notice as to why a system is not considered a compatible target.

But we all agree, the day of the build release we will plug in every external device we have !!! :cool:

Reaction score
I have a cctv camera which records 24/7 to an external hard drive.
So does that meen i dont get the May update not that i am worried either way just interested.?;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Releasing the May 2019 Update to the Release Preview ring.
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...the-release-preview-ring/#mYPIkcmig6hselRt.97

The article is dated April 8th, so.... Evidently I've had it for a while now and didn't actually know it.
It says it is
Right now, the May 2019 Update (Build 18362.30) is being rolled out to the Release Preview ring starting with seekers. The May 2019 Update will remain in the Release Preview ring for an increased amount of time in order give us additional time and signals to detect any issues before broader deployment.

Currently my Release Preview Ring machine is running 18362.86 so, it has already had a cumulative update or two.
So far still no official date as to the broader General Availability Release and "the 10th" that was rumored has come and gone.

Still hoping for the 14th myself, which would be a standard old style "Update Tuesday".
Hope springs eternal.

Reaction score
I've been running the latest 1903 release for about 4 weeks, my Pc has never run better. The event viewer might show a total of 4 errors a day, just minor things.

Ask a Question