Windows 10 licence install question

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question regarding Windows 10 installs but I am struggling to find the best way to word the issues, so I hope that I have made myself clear – if not, please accept my apologies.

My basic question is… do I actually NEED to have 2 different Windows 10 licences to have 2 different installs on the same PC – 1 for general work and 1 for gaming? I am not referring to the legalities but the actual technical limitations?

The reason I ask is this…

A few years ago I bought a 4770K prebuilt system that came with a Windows 7 Pro 64bit licence. This machine eventually upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I had 2 separate install of Windows 10 Pro on this machine – one for general work (500GB SATA SSD) and one for gaming (1TB SATA SSD) and this worked great for my purposes. I could install and reinstall on the 2 different SSDs as and when I needed to – everything was wonderful J

Now, I will do my best to explain exactly what happens.

Fast-forward to today and I have recently purchased a new 9900K prebuilt system with 2 x 1TB NVMe SSDs (1 x 970 EVO and 1 x 970 EVO Plus). This DID NOT come with an OS as I had several Windows 7 Pro OEM licences spare and I took a chance that one of these would work with a Windows 10 Pro installer and it does – yay me!

However, if I install Windows 10 on to both of these SSDs only the first install will actually boot the system - the second install won’t boot.

BUT, If I only have one SSD in the machine and install Windows 10 and then physically remove the first SSD and put in the second SSD and install on to the second SSD - then put the first SSD back in to the system as well as the second then both SSDs will be bootable.

This is a problem because if I want to reinstall Windows 10 on one of the SSDs then I have to take the other one out of the system – and this is a PITA because one of the SSDs is mounted under the GPU so that has to come out as well.

Does anyone know why this is the case? Is it because I currently only have one licence “attached” to this machine – bearing in mind my 4770K build that only has one licence and works fine?

As I have another spare Windows 7 Pro OEM licence I could also use that if possible on the second SSD but will that cause any problems having 2 licences attached to the 9900K build? If I need to reinstall one of the Windows setups how will I know which licence number it needs? It would be worth it so that I don’t have to remove drives when I want to clean install Windows 10

Any help and advice you could offer would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance,

Moley

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
BUT, If I only have one SSD in the machine and install Windows 10 and then physically remove the first SSD and put in the second SSD and install on to the second SSD - then put the first SSD back in to the system as well as the second then both SSDs will be bootable.
I really don't do any dual booting or multi booting anymore but it seems like in the scenario described above, wherein you have two complete and discreet installs of the OS on two separate hard disks that you could use the boot menu for the motherboard, usually involves a function key at boot to select the hard drive you wish to boot from.

Ask a Question