SOLVED Windows.old

Reaction score
Can I safely delete this file. I have my OS on a SAMSUNG 830 Series SSD 2.5" 256GB SATA harddrive, so I like to keep this drive as clean and small as possible. Will deleting this or moving this file to one of my large hdd cause a problem

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
This is your backup data from the upgrade. If you delete it, any information needed to restore back to the previous OS will be gone. ONLY remove it if your 100% positive that you wont need it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tried to remove Requires installer access As it absorbs a major chunk of my limted laptop harddrive I want to ditch windows 10 going well . So after a month will this file be automatically deleted - since only "promised" to allow reversion for 30 days ?

Reaction score
If you're sure you don't need to revert back to any files from the prior version of Windows, you can use Disk Cleanup in File Explorer (I'm not at a Win10 PC right now, so I may have the name wrong) to remove Windows.old.

Reaction score
If you're sure you don't need to revert back to any files from the prior version of Windows, you can use Disk Cleanup in File Explorer (I'm not at a Win10 PC right now, so I may have the name wrong) to remove Windows.old.

Thanks meanwhile saw post to use crapcleaner advanced with old windows file option selected . The go back to clean & select , analyze & run seems to be working

Reaction score
Disk cleanup does work in Windows 10. Type without quotes "Disk Cleanup" in the search to bring it up. You have to select "Cleanup System Files".

Ask a Question