Windows.old

Reaction score
The analysis of my PC before I installed W10 was that all my applications were compatible. So why have so many of these applications been put in the Windows.old folders e.g. VMWare Player, SQL Server Management Studio to name but two?

Reaction score
Probably you made a fresh install instead of an Upgrade?
For interest though, what did you use to ascertain that all the programs were compatible?

Reaction score
So why have so many of these applications been put in the Windows.old folders
I am not sure why you are asking this. The Windows.old folder is an archive of the previous install and should contain everything it needs to roll the W10 upgrade back.

Were the utilities you mention not carried forward with the upgrade? If they were not, I do not know which ones may have been W10 compatible. The upgrade may have not just been checking compatibility with W10 but whether the referenced programs could be safely removed.

Reaction score
Saltgrass, davehc: using the Get Windows 10 app in my tray icon I was told that all my applications were compatible i.e. there were no recommendations for uninstallation.

So in the case off the 2 apps I mentioned - and probably others, 'cos I haven't checked them all yet - they do not appear in my W10 'start menu' and they are not in the W10 'Program Files' or' Program Files (86') folders. They are, however, in the Windows.old equivalent.

So my question is why if the apps were shown as compatible and not required for uninstallation? I presume I will now have to reinstall a load of applications in W10.

Reaction score
Probably you made a fresh install instead of an Upgrade?
For interest though, what did you use to ascertain that all the programs were compatible?

I tried to upgrade via the Get Windows 10 app, using the 'Upgrade Now' option. This took me to Windows Update where it reported that my Windows was up to date.

I posted this issue on this forum and Trouble, another moderator, suggested I download a W10 ISO and install from that, which I did - I don't know whether that's a fresh install or an upgrade. The screen said, amongst other things, 'Wiindows is upgrading'.

Re the program incompatibility see my answer below to you and Saltgrass.

Reaction score
Since I have no experience with something like the VMWare Player, I was wondering if you have a site which shows compatibility between W10 and your version of the software?

Reaction score
From what I can see from your link this is what it shows

VMWare Player 12 is compatible with x64 Windows 10.

If the software is compatible I do not know why the installation was not carried into Windows 10. Of course, it just mentions Windows 10 and is not specific about build, which was upgraded in November.

Reaction score
As I said, it's not the only program that wasn't carried into Windows 10. I also have programs that have been carried over - like Perfect Disk 12.5 - that don't work.

Reaction score
Saltgrass, davehc: using the Get Windows 10 app in my tray icon I was told that all my applications were compatible i.e. there were no recommendations for uninstallation.
So my question is why if the apps were shown as compatible and not required for uninstallation? I presume I will now have to reinstall a load of applications in W10.

It is a while since I went via an upgrade, but, I think the compatibility check only looks at your very basic computer hardware. It has nothing to do with the software you may have installed.

Reaction score
That would be a consideration in the upgrade. It does not, though, check if they will work in windows 10. It is then your task to upgrade any programs which will not work.

Reaction score
Oh, well it's not made entirely clear. I've already decided to reinstall a load of programs following which I'll delete Windows.old.

Reaction score
I have no wish to stop you in your tracks, but, if that is your chosen option, the most efficient way to go is a completely fresh install, including a disk format. This seems to result in a cleaner, and more efficient, OS. This does result in a loss of your private info, so this should be backed up first.
Drawback then, of course, is that you have to set up your own OS customisation - not a great brainstormer.

Ask a Question