Windows sounds distorted (all other sounds fine!)

Reaction score
Hello. I have a new HP Envy M7 laptop running Windows 10. I have an odd problem where all the stock windows sounds are distorted as if they are being unnecessarily amplified. All other sounds, such as videos, music, movies, etc, are all completely fine. I've tried looking through the windows sounds area, looking at the device properties, and also at the 2 different volume control areas with no luck.

When i say 2 different olume control areas, i mean the volume control icon in the taskbar tray, and also the "Bang & Olufsen" sound control icon in the taskbar tray. Bang & Olufsen apparently provides the audio products for this machine? Anyway, i can see anyplace where the windows sounds are being amplified.

My devices are:

Realtek High Definition audio
nVidia Virtual Audio Device
Intel(R) Display Audio

I'm fairly certain i have all drivers up-to-date.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try right clicking the Speaker Icon bottom right near clock and choose Open Volume Mixer.
Grab the System Sound slider and move it down close to the bottom and see if that has any impact on the problem.

Reaction score
Yes, that does work, but proportionally to the master volume. In other words, if i have the system sounds down too low then i don't hear them when the master volume is low. If i set the system sounds a bit higher, they sound fine when the master volume is low, but when that gets turned up the system sounds become distorted again. This is a decent work-around if i can't find the source of the problem though. Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you using the "Default" windows sounds or some theme / customized sounds?
Additionally check the Bang & Olufsen settings for any custom "enhancements" that may be configured. Any boosts or sound effects like amphitheater or coliseum or something like that. It might be that the native system sounds are not being handled properly by any such customization

Reaction score
Yes, i am using the default sounds. This is a pretty new machine and i haven't customized much.

I've checked the Bang & Olufsen settings as well. Under the "listening experience" tab i have such options, and i also have the option to disable them all together. Doing so results in a slightly lowered overall sound, but the windows sounds are no less distorted. They have a slight crackle as if the speaker is blown, but as i said earlier, all other sound sources sound crisp and clear. It's so odd

Thanks for your time and help

Reaction score
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E550, and the Windows 10 sounds sound distorted out of the box also. All other audio fine.

Not surprised at all at Microsoft, always breaking elements of the OS.

Ask a Question