Windows start button, windows keyboard button, MS Edge do not work

Reaction score
Start button, keyboard windows button and Microsoft Edge do not work any more. Has anyone else experienced this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried using another user account, just to see if the problem is unique to your user profile?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Keep us posted.....
Been seeing a few of these recently and honestly there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rhyme or reason as to the cause or a solution, if there even is one.

Reaction score
Have you tried using another user account, just to see if the problem is unique to your user profile?
I set up another user account. Seems that Start and other stuff works now. So, must be my user profile in old account. Can that be repaired or should I go to new account now instead. And, how do I transfer all my files, etc. as in the old account to the new one if that's what I have to do. Thanks again..

Reaction score
I have this same problem. Edge does NOT respond. What fun!!
I created a new user profile, and it now works. So there must be a problem created in my regular profile. Now trying to figure out how to duplicate my old profile into the new one...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would first try restarting your computer multiple times.
It seems that we're seeing some very glitchy behavior when Windows boots in relation to how or if it loads the user profile properly. So test with a couple restarts or even cold boots (from off).
IF nothing seems to produce the desired results then you'll need to copy items from your problem user profile into the one that is working.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7
The process is basically the same as it was for Windows 7.
You'll need a third admin user to get the job done as you cannot be logged in with either the account your are copying from or to.

Reaction score
I would first try restarting your computer multiple times.
It seems that we're seeing some very glitchy behavior when Windows boots in relation to how or if it loads the user profile properly. So test with a couple restarts or even cold boots (from off).
IF nothing seems to produce the desired results then you'll need to copy items from your problem user profile into the one that is working.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7
The process is basically the same as it was for Windows 7.
You'll need a third admin user to get the job done as you cannot be logged in with either the account your are copying from or to.

I reuploaded Windows 10 from the HP Website - (I have an HP desktop at work) latest Windows build, and voila, that problem disappeared. Everything seems to be working again. I'm sure something else will go, but for now, problem is gone.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good work and thanks for posting back and sharing that information.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question