Windows start menu doesn't respond.

Reaction score
Not sure if I am in the right forum, but here goes. Did the free upgrade from Win8.1 about three weeks ago. When I first did the upgrade everything worked as it should. Left on vacation and came back, the computer wanted to do an update, so I restarted the computer. Now since the update my "Start" button doesn't work. I can right click and a text version pops up. My "Search " line at the bottom is gone as well.

I have tried the adding a new user, but it won't let me. I can get to the point where it asks "family member" or "guest" but when I click on either one nothing happens.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have also tried both directly in PowerShell and from an elevated CMD prompt
  1. Go to Search and type powershell
  2. Right click on the PowerShell icon and select Run as Administrator
  3. In PowerShell enter the following key and press Enter:
    • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
  4. Wait for PowerShell to execute the command (a few errors might show up, ignore them)
  5. When everything is finished try to open Start Menu again
Search doesn't work in the right clicked menu, so went through Task Man (and clicked run as Admin) But the command just sits there, I get nothing. Copied and pasted the above text string and when I hit enter I get "deployment operation progress....." it sits there and does nothing after that. How long should I have to wait? When I ran this in Ele. CMD IO let it run for over an hour and it never changed from the original "Deployment progress...." In the PowerShell (admin) I let it run for 15 minutes and nothing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also went into Regedit and tried this fix. It didn't do anything either

Method 2: Solve the problem with Registry Editor

If Powershell solution somehow didn’t work for you, you can try to fix your problem with Registry Editor, because your problem maybe lays somewhere in the registry. Here’s what you should do to solve your Start Menu problem with Registry Editor:

1. Press Windows key and R at the same time and type regedit
  2. Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ ImmersiveShell\Launcher
  3. Click Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it UseExperience
  4. Double-click the newly created item and set the value to 0
  5. Click OK, close the Registry Editor and then restart your computer
I'm up for suggestions. Asus MB, AMD Phenomx3 chip, 8Gb RAM

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have tried the adding a new user, but it won't let me.
Try this
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
Failing that browse to C:\Windows\System32\
find cmd.exe
right click it and choose run as administrator
type
net user JohnSmith P@$$w0rd /ADD
That should add a new user named JohnSmith with a password of P@$$w0rd to your computer.
Now add him to the local admin group
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add

See if that helps and if you can log on as the new user.

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble for that way around to add users......I was able to add a user and log on......but no love, the start menu doesn't work there either. I'm in the same boat as my other user.

Reaction score
When I first did the upgrade everything worked as it should

So you had had days when everything was running fine.

In that case, do a system restore. Pick one of those "good days" as your restore point.

Right click at Start button > click Control Panel > at View by : select small icons > select Recovery > Open system restore >wait for it to load > click Choose a different restore point > bottom left > click Show more restore points > select a date as your restore point > click Next > just follow the prompts to start system restore.

It will take quite a while.
When finishes, it will restart.

Reaction score
It tells me that It can not complete, that the restore points are corrupt. doesn't matter which one I pick.

:(

Ask a Question