Windows USB Can Never Eject Without Error?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know its said to be bad practice ot just pull out the USB of an external hard drive, but I literally cannot help it!

Everytime I try to eject the Drive safely, whether it be Windows 7 or Windows 10, I get this problem...

(I close all the windows that could possibly use it)

2017-06-10-23h39-54.jpg

However when yesterday I tried testing it, I could never replicate it...

I tried

-using a file, then closing and it ejected fine

-using a file, putting comp to hibernate, still ejected fine

-tried using a file, putting it to hibernate, waking it, and then hibernate and wake once more, still ejected fine.

But everynow and again I get this!

Why does Windows do this??

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi gene098,

Welcome to the Forum.

The alert you are getting is letting you know that an application/process is accessing something on the Storage Device - in this case your External Hard Drive connected via USB port, and thus it prevents you from ejecting it; or atleast its warning you not to. The point being to prevent corrupting the Storage Device, or the file being accessed.

When you get such an alert you can easily identiy precisely what is preventing the Safe Removal by doing the following:
  • Right-click on Start and select Event Viewer
  • On the left pane of the Event Viewer window, expand the Windows Logs folder, then left click on System
After a few seconds the center pane will populate with logs organised by Date/Time - the most recent events appear at top of window by default.

Each type of event has its own unique Event ID, and the alert you are receiving when attempting to Safely remove your External Drive is recorded under Event ID 225
  • On the right pane select Filter Current Log ...
  • In the window that pops up, the center field currently has <All Event IDs> populating the field. Click on this field and type 225 then click OK
Sample iamge

img1.png

Now the top center panel will only display a list of Event ID 225. The one at the top is the most recent record.​
  • In that top center panel simply left-click once to highlight the event.
  • Now in the bottom center panel you can read details about the event, and will be able to identify the executable that is preventing you from Safely removing the USB drive.
Sample image

img2.png

Armed with that information you can now decide what to do about it.

For example, you press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together to open Task Manager, then right-click on the identifed process and Endtask it.

Otherwise, let's say it was Word that was accessing a file on the drive. You could return the active Word application, Save any open documents, then close the application.

Either of the above, will now allow you to Safely Remove the USB drive.

Note: Sometimes the process preventing Safe removal is actually windows explorer.exe. In that scenario, you can do the following:
  • Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager
  • Scroll to bottom of Task Manager window
  • Right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart
That will cause your desktop/taskbar to momentarily darken/flash. This is normal. When done, close the Task Manager, and you will be now able to Safely Remove your USB drive.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question