Wireless Adapters

Reaction score
I have a question that was prompted by a post in Networking regarding wireless adapters.

I have two sets (keyboard and mouse) that do not work. I have installed new batteries and tested them with different computes with no change.

Do I need wireless adapters for these and would any wireless adapter work?

Reaction score
If your computers don't have a Wireless/Wi-Fi adapter in them [most all Notebooks and Tablets do] then Yes you will need an adapter, could use the USB type or an Add-in card in Desktops. Also note 2 other things, one is that the little USB dongle that comes with keyboards [nano-transceivers] and mice are specific only to what they came with [frequency specific] and the other is that [if interested] Wi-Fi adapters can also include the short range Bluetooth function that also supports mice and keyboards, I use several BT mice with Notebooks.

Reaction score
My two Dell computers (one new and one recently new) both have built in wireless capability. I connect wireless to a Century Link Router and to an HP Office Jet Pro 8710. I also have a Logitech Keyboard/Mouse but they came with a dongle (I did not realize that until now).

The others have no dongle.

Reaction score
Some systems which come with a wireless(Wi-Fi not Bluetooth) device, such as a keyboard, have built-in dongles for those. I broke a key on a Dell system keyboard and had to replace the keyboard. The get it to work I had to use the Logitech utility to set up the new device. The dongle will only connect to a specific keyboard so you cannot have more than one.

They are not using a wireless network to communicate.

Reaction score
I appreciate your last comment. That explains a lot to me that I was otherwise not understanding. No Network

However: "The dongle will only connect to a specific keyboard so you cannot have more than one". There may be new exceptions brought about by the forever advancing technologies:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotions/6072

Ask a Question