Wireless Adapters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dustywoodworker, Dec 3, 2018.

1. dustywoodworker

dustywoodworker

I have a question that was prompted by a post in Networking regarding wireless adapters.

I have two sets (keyboard and mouse) that do not work. I have installed new batteries and tested them with different computes with no change.

Do I need wireless adapters for these and would any wireless adapter work?

dustywoodworker, Dec 3, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. dustywoodworker

Bighorn

If your computers don't have a Wireless/Wi-Fi adapter in them [most all Notebooks and Tablets do] then Yes you will need an adapter, could use the USB type or an Add-in card in Desktops. Also note 2 other things, one is that the little USB dongle that comes with keyboards [nano-transceivers] and mice are specific only to what they came with [frequency specific] and the other is that [if interested] Wi-Fi adapters can also include the short range Bluetooth function that also supports mice and keyboards, I use several BT mice with Notebooks.

Bighorn, Dec 3, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. dustywoodworker

dustywoodworker

My two Dell computers (one new and one recently new) both have built in wireless capability. I connect wireless to a Century Link Router and to an HP Office Jet Pro 8710. I also have a Logitech Keyboard/Mouse but they came with a dongle (I did not realize that until now).

The others have no dongle.

4. dustywoodworker

Saltgrass

Some systems which come with a wireless(Wi-Fi not Bluetooth) device, such as a keyboard, have built-in dongles for those. I broke a key on a Dell system keyboard and had to replace the keyboard. The get it to work I had to use the Logitech utility to set up the new device. The dongle will only connect to a specific keyboard so you cannot have more than one.

They are not using a wireless network to communicate.

Saltgrass, Dec 3, 2018
  5. dustywoodworker

dustywoodworker

I appreciate your last comment. That explains a lot to me that I was otherwise not understanding. No Network

However: "The dongle will only connect to a specific keyboard so you cannot have more than one". There may be new exceptions brought about by the forever advancing technologies:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotions/6072

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question