Wireless connection desktop to smart tv

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so I hope I've picked the right place for this.
I've just bought a Lenovo Ideapad desktop and I've been trying to connect it wirelessly to my Samsung smart tv. When I try to connect them the tv finds the desktop and says it's connected and the desktop finds the tv but says it couldn't connect. Help!

Reaction score
Reaction score
DXdiag is your friend. Run DXdiag in a cmd prompt. Click on Save all data. Open up dxdiag.txt and scroll down looking for Miracast.

You should find a line near the top

Miracast: Available, no HDCP (my desktop) or Available HDCP (my Lenovo laptop)

and later under Display devices

Miracast: Not Supported. (my desktop) or Supported (my lenovo laptop)

My desktop does not have Wifi but can RECEIVE casts from the laptop
My lenovo can cast to my MS adapter on my non-smart TV and to my desktop and to the Roku stick on my TV.

Now if I add a Wifi device ( USB) to my desktop it still will not cast...after some research I think that my Video card ( old Nvidia) cannot transmit via USB. The laptop has a built in Wifi card via an M2 socket inside the machine.

Reaction score
Also. Do a search for Miracast on this forum it has been covered in detail.
Hi Tim and thanks for the post(s)
I still haven't managed a wireless connection but I've managed to connect them with a HDMI cable after much messing around.. I'd still prefer a wireless connection but I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies
Merci tout de même, vous êtes tous les deux mes amis:)
Jerry

Reaction score
I went through a phase of using a HDMI cable as well.

Just a thought. If your PC WiFi is generally using 5GHz 802.11n or ac maybe the TV can't do that, maybe it can only use 2.4Ghz. It might be worth checking that the PC WiFi adapter allows both bands....or that the TV does.

Note that the casting to the tv does not go through your router it is direct to the tv.

Ask a Question