Wrong username/password on boot

Reaction score
From time to time I get a message saying that the Username/Password was incorrect when first booting my system. This is even before having the lock screen display the user and password input filed. Has anyone else had this and is there a fix for it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi artoo,

This is an issue that has occurred in the past, back in 2015 if memory serves me right, to which I'm not certain anyone ever managed to isolate precisely what caused this issue to arise.

The most likely scenario is that something has corrupted a Registry entry, but whether that 'something' is a Windows update, or some other cause is unclear.

Having said that, there is a way of resolving this that appears to work fine. Here is how:
  • After you have signed-in to your Desktop press your windows key + r to open the Run dialog
  • In the run dialog type netplwiz then click OK
  • When the User Accounts dialog opens left-click once on the Username experiencing this issue, then at the top of the dialog remove the check next to 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer'.
  • Now click Apply then OK
  • Close any other open programs then restart computer. It ought to automatically sign-in to your Desktop.
  • When you are back at the desktop after restarting computer, repeat the above steps, but this time you want to check the box next to "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer' and then click Apply then OK

What this does is effectively reset the same password to be required for signing-in.

Note: During these alterations in the User Accounts dialog you will be prompted to enter your password then re-enter the password. Make sure you use the password you normally sign-in with for this.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Not a solution but it reminds me of 'back in the day' when I'd see a similar problem where the computer processing [80486 into the Pentiums] had gotten faster than the HDD/Hard Disk Drive could read its data. Hitting the reset button [no longer used] was the cheap solution as the disk/s in the HDD were already spinning. Another trick was to set the BIOS to go through/display the whole boot process instead of using the faster boot-up settings.

Reaction score
Hi artoo,

This is an issue that has occurred in the past, back in 2015 if memory serves me right, to which I'm not certain anyone ever managed to isolate precisely what caused this issue to arise.

The most likely scenario is that something has corrupted a Registry entry, but whether that 'something' is a Windows update, or some other cause is unclear.

Having said that, there is a way of resolving this that appears to work fine. Here is how:
  • After you have signed-in to your Desktop press your windows key + r to open the Run dialog
  • In the run dialog type netplwiz then click OK
  • When the User Accounts dialog opens left-click once on the Username experiencing this issue, then at the top of the dialog remove the check next to 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer'.
  • Now click Apply then OK
  • Close any other open programs then restart computer. It ought to automatically sign-in to your Desktop.
  • When you are back at the desktop after restarting computer, repeat the above steps, but this time you want to check the box next to "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer' and then click Apply then OK

What this does is effectively reset the same password to be required for signing-in.

Note: During these alterations in the User Accounts dialog you will be prompted to enter your password then re-enter the password. Make sure you use the password you normally sign-in with for this.

Regards,

Regedit32
My password won’t work so I can’t get to my desktop. This solution requires me to be on my desktop????

Ask a Question