Your PIN is no longer available due to a change in the security settings on this device - how to get past this?

Reaction score
I am using Windows 10 on a dedicated DAW (digital audio workstation) laptop which is never connected to the internet.

I performed a major update to one of my software apps and it caused some issues so, as I keep backups in the form of Windows Image Backups, I restored an earlier image but, and it has never done this before, when I boot my device I now get the following message at the login screen:
“your pin is no longer available due to a change the security settings on this device. Click to set up your pin again".

If I click on it, windows tries to connect to the internet and from the number of posts online, others have had this issue suddenly happen out of the blue.

As I understand it, windows want some kind of PIN associated with my online MS account and needs to connect to the internet but as I have previous said, this machine is not connected to the net and the wi-fi options are disabled so I could not connect even if I want to.

Also I do not remember setting a MS PIN that is associated with my account, I may have, but I do not remember doing so and as I say, when ever I have restored from a Windows Image Backup I have never received this error so why now?

Yes, I could do a clean install but then I would have to reinstall the audio programs and go through the pain in the rear process of trying to offline apply all of the licences, and then setting it all up to work as it should - a day or so work.

I have no idea why this has happened as I have been able to restore from my Windows Image Backups before and not once did I get this error. Windows 10 has been rock solid for me without any issues until now.

After google searches and youtube videos, nothing works.

When I created the Windows Image Backups I also created a USB boot drive at the same time.

I have tried booting to the USB and then from the recovery menu > Command prompt and enabled the Built-in Administrator Account

I then did the same but booted to safe mode first

I tried from the login screen, select and hover over "restart", hold down the shift key and click restart, and then enabling the built-in Admin Account

And there have been a fair number of variations that I have tried but nothing works.

So right now I have a very expensive but un-accessible machine and clients waiting for completed work that should have been sent to them today.

Can anyone suggest anything because I am at my wits end?

Reaction score
maybe you can add another user and give it adminstrator priviledges. Or can you change the pin to a password did you once use a password?

Ask a Question