Zoom App keeps freezing - not recognizing video

Reaction score
I am not sure if the following is related to Zoom itself or something within Windows 10 (run on a Dell XPS)

I have been using Zoom for months now without a problem. Today, whenever I open the App states that I am using video but only shows a black screen. As soon as I try to change any settings or interact with it at all the App freezes and gives a "Zoom Meetings (Not Responding)" message. The App then greys out and I have to force a close.

Here are the things I have tried so far:

• This seems to be a local issue on one PC I have, a Dell XPS running Windows 10.
  • I have uninstalled Zoom using their CleanZoom app and then re-installed the latest version.
  • I have rebooted the PC a number of times,
  • I have checked all the drivers for both the Logitech C290 webcam being used and also tried to run it without the webcam plugged in relying on the PC in built camera.
  • Ensured Windows 10 has the latest updates installed
  • Done a PC scan for any malicious software
None of this has worked. If I open the Zoom app itself but do not join a meeting I can change all the settings within it, but not the Video settings. As soon as I click on that tab the App freezes.

Any tips in getting round this would be most helpful!

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem. In addition my webcam will not work in Skype, even though it initially shows up when I check it is settings.
Can someone help please, these is extremely frustrating!

Reaction score
Zoom tried to help me out with this. Turns out that for me it is a bug with Bitdefender which they are now looking into. Try turning off any video protection part of your anti-virus and using Zoom again. If that works then get in touch with your anti-virus provider.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing. This bug in Bit Defender was stopping both my Zoom and Skype webcam usage. Disabled video protection and both are working now.

Reaction score
I am not sure if the following is related to Zoom itself or something within Windows 10 (run on a Dell XPS)

I have been using Zoom for months now without a problem. Today, whenever I open the App states that I am using video but only shows a black screen. As soon as I try to change any settings or interact with it at all the App freezes and gives a "Zoom Meetings (Not Responding)" message. The App then greys out and I have to force a close.

• This seems to be a local issue on one PC I have, a Dell XPS running Windows 10.
  • I have uninstalled Zoom using their CleanZoom app and then re-installed the latest version.
  • I have checked all the drivers for both the Logitech C290 webcam being used and also tried to run it without the webcam plugged in relying on the PC in built camera.
None of this has worked. If I open the Zoom app itself but do not join a meeting I can change all the settings within it, but not the Video settings. As soon as I click on that tab the App freezes.

I'm getting the exact same issue this morning. Log in they can hear me but the video camera indicates that it's working, but it's not, and when I try to activate my camera it locks up. I've got a laptop camera and a USB attached Camera and doesn't matter which Camera I'm in it locks. The app just updated. If you find a solution please post I will likewise do the same.

Reaction score

I have the same problem, did you find a solution ?

Reaction score
SOmeone on another forum found that disabling his Bitdefender video protection fixed the issue. I tried it and worked for me too, on both Zoom and Skype. I've notified Bitdefender of the problem. Hope it works for you.

Reaction score
I had the exact same situation with zoom. It worked fine up through Wed. afternoon 4/21 but did all the same not-responding, black screen, gray filter, etc. as of 4/23 in the morning. (I didn't zoom on Thurs.) So Bitdefender must've run an update that screwed things up. Thanks to this thread, I disabled my video protection, and I'm back in business with zoom.

Reaction score
Zoom tried to help me out with this. Turns out that for me it is a bug with Bitdefender which they are now looking into. Try turning off any video protection part of your anti-virus and using Zoom again. If that works then get in touch with your anti-virus provider.
That might have something to do with Zoom being a major security risk. They've had a lot of problems and had to rewrite their code, based on what I read a while back. I won't let it on my devices or computers.

Reaction score
Zoom could be freezing up for the same reason skype doe and now facebook video chat's doing it more often. Too many people using it. When the lockdown started, skype became almost unusable.

Reaction score
I had this problem with Windows Teams and with the Google version. In my case it was Kaspersky virus checker that was causing the problem. I turned off Webcam protection and that solved the problem. Zoom seemed to work OK with Webcam protection turned on as I turned it back on when I was done with Teams.

Ask a Question