Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Get it while it's hot....
New build available now.
Guess we'll see what this one brings.

Reaction score
Up and running and lo and behold my Mahjong games now play. So far I haven't found any glitches but I do wish they would get rid of that search box that appears at the bottom of the start menu box.
The install went smoothly although it was a bit long and the install screen has been changed.

Just found glitch number one. This same situation happens in Windows 8 and now in the TP also. I have the task bar set to auto hide and with an app such as Firefox browser opened full screen I can't get the task bar to "unhide". If I minimize the window and the drag it to a full screen the task bar will work if I leave a tiny bit of space at the bottom of the app. If I click on the Maximize button at the top left though it will maximize the window and the task bar will not unhide. In order to unhide the task bar I have to minimize the app to the task bar if I've used the maximize button. Looks like the maximize option makes the screen too large for the cursor to find the task bar and unhide it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Lost some things from my start menu.
Did you experience anything like that?

Reaction score
Nothing is missing from my start menu. I did check sfc /scannow though and discovered it still will not run past the 6% point.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My office suite programs, like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., that I had "pinned to start" disappeared from that side of the start menu. Had to re-pin them from the all apps menu, but.....
My Skype for Desktop (not the app) disappeared completely from All Apps, and from Program Files. Had to re-run the installer to get that one back.
Just happy that I now have something new that I can whine about.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you've installed the latest Windows 10 Tech Preview build 10041 and your start menu has three tiles that are funny looking those would be Calendar, Mail and People.
You'll likely find that they are also missing from the All Apps Menu as well.
Read this article's Here are some known issues for this build before you panic.
It explains how to fix it using an Administrative PowerShell command and reinstalling them from the Store App (normal store, not beta store.... the green tile).
If you've already attempted and got an error you may have to flush the Store Cache wsreset from the run command.
And to get all the tiles back in the all apps menu you may need to reboot after you're done. In my case I only got one immediately until after a reboot.... then the other two miraculously re-appeared.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...-technical-preview-build-10041-now-available/

Reaction score
Get it while it's hot....
New build available now.
Guess we'll see what this one brings.

I didn't get the update on either my Desktop or notebook. Still showing build 9926. Selecting Update and Recovery from Settings say that my systems are up to date. a rescan or recheck for updates tells me the same thing. Anything I need to do?

Michael

Reaction score
I didn't get the update on either my Desktop or notebook. Still showing build 9926. Selecting Update and Recovery from Settings say that my systems are up to date. a rescan or recheck for updates tells me the same thing. Anything I need to do?

Michael

I was setup to receive updates slowly. Changed to "Fast" and now downloading.

Michael

Reaction score
Newsgroup reader in Windows Live Mail is acting a bit strange. It's handling email OK but when I open the newsgroups oftentimes all I get is the ribbon across the top and the rest is just a black screen. Other times it will open one newsgroup but display a different reading format than what I have selected normally. Other times it will open a white, blank page with the ribbon across the top. If I just wait for a couple of minutes or so it will suddenly decide to display my newsgroups in the proper reading format. One of the newsgroups was not carried over to build 10041. It is down for a few days while the server owner moves and I have to suspect that when the new build was going through the setup process it deleted the newsgroup when it couldn't be accessed. I reckon Windows thought it was a dead group so didn't install it. I was able to manually set it up though even though it is still off line. No idea what has the newsgroup reader wonkered up.

Reaction score
Windows Live Mail seems to have figured out how to handle newsgroups. No idea what transpired but my subscribed newsgroups are now opening just as they should and the problems I posted about have not been recurring. Almost like Windows was working on its own and finally got it right. Weird!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Almost like Windows was working on its own and finally got it right. Weird!
You're the second person I've noticed today that have made a similar comment.
The other guy suggested just going out for lunch and coming back later after an hour or two and everything would be fine.
Not sure that would actually work as a cure for a lot of what seems to be ailing this new build or not.
Safe Mode with Networking still seems to be a disaster
gpedit.msc is giving me some errors and ignoring my disabling of the lock screen.
gpedit.PNG

Guess I'll have a look in the registry and see what's what.

Reaction score
Still no update to build 10041, I'm a fastringer
Windows 10 32 bit runs in VirtualBox (Linux host)
Switched several times from fast to slow and back to fast, no solution
Any ideas?

Reaction score
Windows Live Mail seems to have figured out how to handle newsgroups. No idea what transpired but my subscribed newsgroups are now opening just as they should and the problems I posted about have not been recurring. Almost like Windows was working on its own and finally got it right. Weird!
Interesting.
I am a devoted user of Live Mail.In fact, I was an original Beta Testers of the product. It has nothing to do with the OS as it is a standalone program. It is curious how Windows 10 could have solved the problem, but, congrats!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
another solution
Been using your solution since you originally posted it, back a couple months ago on this or another forum (don't remember).
The only caveat being that when you perform the upgrade which a lot of people are doing the C:\RecoveryImage folder does not get updated with the latest .ESD file to build the ISO from, if it contains certain files among which are that

DONOTREPLACE.txt
Upgrade will not replace the on-disk recovery image if this file is present. Do not delete or modify this file.

So of course I delete all the contents in my RecoveryImage folder and always get the latest .ESD to build the ISO from.
Not good if you want to do a roll back or actual recovery from there of course.
Nice to have a second resource to obtain the latest .ESD file from, so....
Thanks for the link.

Ask a Question