1709 stuck in update/install loop?

Reaction score
Not sure if it is or not but been doing the 1709 update almost 24hrs. It does the normal download, install, then reboots and I think it just a repeat as it shows the same progress. My questions, how long should it take for the 1709 update, and if it is stuck in a loop what's the fix. BTW this is a notebook computer with only a few extra APPs installed.
IMG_1677sm.jpg

Reaction score
Giving the tool a try. winver shows I have 1607 14393 and it's updating to 16299. Any guess how long it should take to get current?

Reaction score
Hi PA-WOODCHUCK,

then run the 2nd part of my link and download a fresh copy and create your own new bootable media /USB stick or DVD) and boot from that, or once you have created the media stick/disk, you can open the device in Windows explorer and run setup from the disk!. :)

usb stick setup.PNG

Reaction score
Does that mean I have to start all over with a fresh install? I hope not!. Anyway to turnoff/stop the update service. Also after 3 days of updates still only shows version 1607

Reaction score
No!, you just upgrade your current install!, it will ask you if you want to keep your files and you should say yes!, you might have to re-install an app or two but that is the bottom line. :)

Reaction score
Well all is OK and shows the 1709 version on notebook and desktop systems. But it took days and days of the updates installing. Not sure if it was just mine or others went through the same thing. MS may be at the cause by not stating how long the update could take. So... my advice for others just keep letting update to download/install/restart over and over for days an all should be OK.

Reaction score
Hi

you got it sorted, well done!. :)

MS certainly do need to get their finger out and sort these problems out, they create more headaches for people than necessary!. :mad:

Please mark as solved so it helps others, thanks. :D:D:D:D

Reaction score
I'm fed up with MS after this FORCED update. My system was stable until then, now have freezes, can't even get into the task manager, mouse moves but can't select anything. None of my IPhone/IPad have issues! Getting time to think about an MAC!

Reaction score
Do you have Windows Defender active?, I just got 11 Trojans myself while downloading an ISO from MicroScrap, you can't trust anyone these days!. :(

Reaction score
Giving the tool a try. winver shows I have 1607 14393 and it's updating to 16299. Any guess how long it should take to get current?
That's a big jump from 1607 to 1709.
Do you have Windows Defender active?, I just got 11 Trojans myself while downloading an ISO from MicroScrap, you can't trust anyone these days!. :(
You didn't get it from them, probably from somewhere else. Most likely Facebook.

Reaction score
You didn't get it from them, probably from somewhere else. Most likely Facebook.
HI Comp,

nope, I hardly do FB and I was only on the PC to download the ISO using Edge browser, no naughty sites or other web pages, everything was fine until then. I will write my own thread explaining what I did!. :)

Reaction score
HI Comp,

nope, I hardly do FB and I was only on the PC to download the ISO using Edge browser, no naughty sites or other web pages, everything was fine until then. I will write my own thread explaining what I did!. :)
I know someone that got something similar. He was just reading the Funnies for the day. Turned out to be a legit publishing company site.
All I'm say is it's not Microsoft & I'm no fan of them.
They don't need Trojans...they have Windows10.

Reaction score
I worked on this for days. Windows Update History kept showing the 1709 update needed a restart. I finally came across a blog that said to disable fast startup. Unbelievably, the update installed perfectly afterward.
Go to Control Panel->Power Options->Choose what the power button does->Change settings that are currently unavailable. Then UNCHECK Turn on fast startup (Recommended).
Then let Windows try to install the update again.

Reaction score
Hi,
I tried disabling the fast startup (as described by Virtus21 above), but, unfortunately, it did not work for me.

I am trying to upgrade a HP Pavilion I5 laptop with 8GB RAM and 60GB free disk space from 1703 to 1709 but it just keeps failing (with a somewhat cryptic MEMORY MANAGEMENT error). When it fails, it restores the previous windows version (1703). Later on it tries again, but you just get stuck in an endless loop of Try -> Fail -> Restore original -> Try again. The RAM memory diagnostics pass fine, so it is not that.
This problem is really frustrating. Anybody got any more ideas?

Ask a Question