1909 does not Activate

Reaction score
After many--all--successful Win10 updates, 1909 will not activate. There have been no changes to this system. How to go about getting MS to activate a system that has always been activated in the past? Perhaps this is a common issue. Thanks in advance for you suggestions. RH

Regedit32

Reaction score
Assuming the User account you are signed in with is connected to a Microsoft account, then:
  • Click Start > Settings cog > Update & Security — then on left side click Activation
  • At the bottom of the Activation screen you should see Troubleshoot. Click this to resolve your issue.

Reaction score
After many--all--successful Win10 updates, 1909 will not activate. There have been no changes to this system. How to go about getting MS to activate a system that has always been activated in the past? Perhaps this is a common issue. Thanks in advance for you suggestions. RH
I have read from several sources that certain video drivers are causing this problem. Sorry, I don't remember which ones but it won't hurt to make sure yours are up to date.

Reaction score
Firstly, you should not be having this problem, your account is on file with Microsoft and in the activation section you should have this: "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account' and as "Regedit32" said. it should activate automatically when updating to V1909.

I've just updated to v1909 and everything worked 100% and fluently and very quickly, without any activation problems, also, you should not be having any component(s) problems because, when you update from v1903 to v1909 all v1903 components were installed onto your system to allow v1909 to be installed, otherwise, you can't update to v1909. My suggestion to you is to, phone Microsoft and give them your details and "Windows Key" (if you know your key?). If you don't then do this:

Right click left of taskbar Windows icon > click and chose > Run > type in > Regedit
Then, find the path below:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
  • Right pane, look for > BackupProductKeyDefault

Last edited:

GH1

Reaction score
I rebuilt my machine with new motherboard, case and CPU , different graphics card and old HDDS with Windows etc still on it. On starting up the computer it just opened and ran and when I went to see if Windows was OK it said it was activated with a digital licence.
I didnt expect it to be that simple.

Also rebuilt the old machine by putting a formtted drive in and installing1809 and upgraded to latest Same result, it just activated and ran

Cant say the same for Office 2016 It said its out of grace period and MS wont help, said to buy a new copy.

Ask a Question