2 Harddrives not working but 3rd is

Reaction score
Hello.
I brought a 4 bay external harddrive enclosure and have it hooked up to my laptop ( I will get a computer one day)
The issue I have is this.
Bay 2 3 and 4 no issues. I have 5 external harddrives.
2 x 2tb
2 x 1 tb a
nd 1x 4tb
4 of these drives I wish to keep in the enclosure and 1 as a spare. (the 1 tb one).

The issue is this and sorry if this doesnt make sense. I have tried 3 of my harddrive lets name them A B C.
If I place hdd A or B into bay 1 it shows up as Local Disk and you click on it and nothing happens and then the comp makes the sound as if i had pulled the usb out.

If I plave A and B into the other bay no problem they work fine.

If I place a different hdd into Bay 1 for example hdd C or the spare then it shows up no problem.

Is there anything I can do as I would love for hdd A and B to work as one of them is the 2tb one.
Thank you

EDIT - Now when I put hdd A in Bay 1 it wont even appear. hdd B still just says local disk

If i try to open it, it sometimes says not accessible the paramter is incorrect

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi bootstinu12,

What cable is connecting the external drive not being detected to the laptop?

It sounds like the drive is not getting enough power to be detected. In that event you probably need a Y-split cable and connect both USB connectors to the laptop to add some more juice per se.

So far as the enclosure goes are we talking Seagate, Maxtor, or some other product?

As for the laptop itself are we talking USB 2.0 or 3,0?

If its 2.0 you may need an adapter between the connections.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What's the make/model of enclosure? Is there any HDD specialty requirements for enclosure.....meaning - do they all have to be the same brand/size? Is this a RAID setup?

Reaction score
What's the make/model of enclosure? Is there any HDD specialty requirements for enclosure.....meaning - do they all have to be the same brand/size? Is this a RAID setup?
Brand is orico, dont believe any requirements and they use to work until the computer froze one day.
I have no idea what a Raid setup is sorry

Reaction score
Hi bootstinu12,

What cable is connecting the external drive not being detected to the laptop?

It sounds like the drive is not getting enough power to be detected. In that event you probably need a Y-split cable and connect both USB connectors to the laptop to add some more juice per se.

So far as the enclosure goes are we talking Seagate, Maxtor, or some other product?

As for the laptop itself are we talking USB 2.0 or 3,0?

If its 2.0 you may need an adapter between the connections.

Regards,

Regedit32

Its a usb cable connecting the enclosure to the laptop. it was in the 3.0 usb but i changed it to the 2.0 usb as i think the 3.0 one is faulty (keeps finding things then not).
Enclosure is orico. The enclosure is externally powered

Last edited:
Reaction score
I suppose when we get a model number we will be able to see if the 4 TB drive might be causing a problem...

Your description of drive a or b needs to be a little more specific if you feel specific drives might be involved.

Ask a Question