8 Pro to 10 Pro

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
After I resurrected my Intel build, I gave my old system to my son. We got all the hardware installed...PSU and HDD. Tested it and it fire right up to the BIOS. Now it really gets good.

So I have a DVD of 8 Pro and installed it and it activated no problem. I let it update....well that sucked over wifi. Then I download the windows 10 ISO tool and then chose to upate now. Holy crap....it worked. It 's now running windows 10 Pro 20H1 and activated with a digital license. Now I have to get a SSD...I forgot how slow the spinners are. I started this around 12pm EST and finished at 5:47 pm EST.

When we get a SSD I'll do a clean install off a USB and that old system should purr once again as it did for me.

Reaction score
Even valid Windows 7 keys still can be used for upgrading to Windows 10. I just installed Windows 10 on a Laptop owned by my boss as a dual boot (Win7/10) and it updated with a digital license without any issues. Makes sense though: MS does not want to constantly update older systems, ONE Windows and good. That is why Win7 and 8 still can be upgraded to Win10 for nothing.Makes it easier for MS...

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Even valid Windows 7 keys still can be used for upgrading to Windows 10.
I have a couple of those laying around as well. I wish I would have used one of those. Holy Feck me running....I forgot how to navigate windows 8. It was a nightmare.

Needless to say my son is happy. Him and his buddy are playing Fortnite together.

Reaction score
Windows 10 Pro gets updated because a Windows 8 Pro License is more than enough to install a valid licensed copy of Windows Pro.
You can do that with Windows 7 license key as well.
Yes, it is better to install Windows on an SSD.
That gives smooth and fast performance.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Windows 10 Pro gets updated because a Windows 8 Pro License is more than enough to install a valid licensed copy of Windows Pro.
Yes..we all understood that. My point was simply the fact that MS has "officially" ended the windows 10 upgrade option. In doing mine, I was just reporting on the success of it and that it's still a viable option.

Reaction score
I once hit an issue with the Upgrade from Win8.1 Ultimate to Win10 Pro, seems the Ultimate identified with Enterprise and wouldn't activate because an appropriate Server couldn't be found for authentication. Using a Win8 Pro key worked.

Ask a Question