SOLVED BlueTooth Discovery and Connection Problems

Reaction score
Hi and hope this finds everyone safe and healthy. I have 2 devices which work perfectly with 3 bluetooth peripherals: an S5e Android tab and a Windows 64 bit Home PC. Both devices will recognize and play the 3 peripherals: JBL mini reflect, skullcrusher, and AKG bluetooth headphones.

The problem: my new PC build, from day one, will not recognize the skullcrusher nor the AKG.
The JBL mini are recognized, display as paired, but fail when connected with a make sure device is discoverable error which is kind of silly since the device is paired.

What i have tried to date in no particular order.
Current version of windows is now 1909, build 18363.900, but i have been through several updates since building this pc (Win 10 PRO 64 bit OEM, Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi), Ryzen 9 3900X ). Not using w-fi, just ethernet.

1. Uninstalled bluetooth and restarted with Microsoft drivers.
2. Installed 2 versions of ASUS drivers for this mobo, latest ones being June 2020.
3. Have restarted all bluetooth services (all were enabled and running)
4. Have run the troubleshooter which claimed it fixed the radio
5. Have of course, bluetooth on and also the added checkbox Allow bluetooth devices to find this PC
6. The bluetooth headphones are properly charged and they "talk" saying power on, and indicating they are pairing or discovery on.....(pairing lights flash on and off)

So again in summary, the new PC (the other devices are old/older) is the only device which doesn't recognize or connect with bluetooth headphones. It will pair with the JBL mini reflects only, but will connect for a few seconds and then disconnect.

I'm out of ideas. Thanks!
P.S. I'm assuming that I don't need wifi turned on (on the motherboard, not taking about my router), right? I have no reason to use wifi on my desktop since it doesn't move and ether net is faster and more secure.

Reaction score
Hi John,

have you checked the settings on your older computers and compared them to the new PC?. :)

Have you considered an upgrade to Win 10 2004?. :cool:

Reaction score
Press the Windows key and R, type winver and you should get similar to this:
1592858699301.png

As shown the Version is 1909, stands for 2019 year and the 09 is September. I haven't Upgraded to Version 2004 on this computer yet.
The Version Upgrades have been coming twice a year with Build updates monthly or more often. Compare the Build with the Service Packs offered for older Versions of Windows. Also on the panel is the Edition, this one is Pro but one of my other machines is Home.

Reaction score
Hi John,

have you checked the settings on your older computers and compared them to the new PC?. :)

Have you considered an upgrade to Win 10 2004?. :cool:

Hi. Yes i compared the 2 but the older one has bluetooth on usb while the new one is on the mobo. I read somewhere that Microsoft had actually disabled some bluetooth devices as part of an update for bluetooth security/vulnerability. I guess ill try 2004 and hope it doesn't break everything else

Reaction score
Press the Windows key and R, type winver and you should get similar to this:
View attachment 11964
As shown the Version is 1909, stands for 2019 year and the 09 is September. I haven't Upgraded to Version 2004 on this computer yet.
The Version Upgrades have been coming twice a year with Build updates monthly or more often. Compare the Build with the Service Packs offered for older Versions of Windows. Also on the panel is the Edition, this one is Pro but one of my other machines is Home.
Hi. My version is in the original post.

Reaction score
Hi John,

it might be a case of chipset drivers + Bluetooth as well?, check out the driver downloads for your mobo at the following link. :)

Reaction score
Hi John,

it might be a case of chipset drivers + Bluetooth as well?, check out the driver downloads for your mobo at the following link. :)

Hi
Thanks. All my drivers are already updated as is the BIOS. Interestingly the AMD chipset driver file is empty and has been like that for weeks. Surprised ASUS hasn't been notified. Problem persists. Have no idea why.

Reaction score
Hi John,
go to the following link and click on Chipset > AM4 > X570 > Submit and install the chipset drivers and restart. :)

Hi again and thanks Wolfie. I have those drivers installed and I updated Win 10 as well. Then I had the "aha" moment or PEBCAC.
When I bought my mobo i went for the wifi version because the regular version was not in stock. I have no use for wifi with a desktop that weighs 40 pounds or more (Corsair PSU is damn heavy). Because none of my bluetooth devices (phone, tablet, laptop, old desktop) use antennas I wrongly assumed I wouldn't need to install the wifi antenna included with my CH8. Well, my bad. Apparently the antenna also feeds the bluetooth signal. So even though my headphones are a foot away from the mobo, no signal. Haven't installed it yet, will tomorrow and update this post....but that should be it!
:)
P.S. What got me thinking was the troubleshooter saying it had solved the problem, the problem being the radio. It didnt fix anything, but it got me thinking. So i put the headphones at the back of the PC and they were recognized, but the signal was too weak. Antenna should fix that.

Reaction score
Ahhhh, that Eureka moment that we all have now and then. I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted please. :):):)

Reaction score
Ok. Attaching the antenna did the trick. Headphones are paired, connect, and work. AKG are great but Skullcrushers stutter.
In passing, the update to 2004, as expected, broke all kinds of stuff im just discovering like my home network (had to reset network and then uncheck use passwords) and removed registry tweaks such as remove folders from this computer. I'm sure lots of other stuff broke as well. Anyway, bluetooth works, I learned something new. Thanks for your help Wolfie. Stay safe and healthy.
John

Reaction score
Alright John, glad everything worked out. You and the family stay safe too mate. :) :) :)

Ask a Question