Keyboard doesn't work when Save As PDF file. I can't properly name the file b/c keyboard give random letters

Reaction score
I download / Save As, a pdf file from Chrome, and when I type in the name, I get random letters and numbers

Reaction score
Are you given a default file name, as a diagnostic can you go to the folder it was saved into then rename it? Different browsers do things a bit differently.

Reaction score
Yes, Bighorn, I do what you suggest as a work-around. But, I would like to find out what the problem is and correct it. Any thoughts on how to correct it? Thanks for your reply :)

Reaction score
It most likely is the browser's issue, I see it with others in their Save and sometimes in their Save as. Don't know as there's an actual solution.

Reaction score
I know I said it was when I used Chrome, but I just tried to download/name/and save as, and I had the same issue. I appreciate your feedback. thanks ~~

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to add to the above, that I was downloading from a website and saving as a PDF, so it may not be specific to chrome.
I just wanted to correct my last post.

Reaction score
Hi mary43,

it might be a language issue?, what system language are you using and do you have any other language packages installed?. Can you see the language indicator in the panel by the clock and is it switchable?. :)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie ~ I went to language settings and it is English. When I Save As excel files, the keyboard works find and it works fine for Word.
It's just pdf/adobe that I have problems with.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie ~ I'm using Adobe Reader DC. I use Chrome, but even when not using Chrome and when I file a pdf file from a website, the same thing happens ~~ I get random characters when typing in the file name.

Reaction score
Hi Mary,

try right clicking a PDF file and "Open with" and select Edge Browser and see if the same thing happens!. :)

Reaction score
When I right click, it just says open with Adobe and doesn't give me an option to choose Edge. I also downloaded a file from a website and it didn't give me the option, on the website, to chose Open with Edge. And I prefer to use Adobe vs. Edge. Ideally, I'd like to fix the problem using Adobe. But Wolfie ~ that was a clever idea ;)

Reaction score
Hi Mary,

are you sure that there is no "Open with" option?. I get the following when I right click an object and can select a different app (More apps). You could also remove Adobe reader (temporarily, you can re-install it afterwards) to see if your PDF files open with Edge browser!.

1592549283496.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture :) Yes, I was able to open an existing pdf file using Edge, but that's not the problem I'm trying to solve. When I'm saving a pdf file to my hard drive, and I type in a name for the file name, the keyboard doesn't work properly, it gives me random characters.
I'm not very techie, so uninstalling and re-installing is not a good option for me. I was using Edge before for Adobe, and I didn't like it, so I had someone install adobe for me. I'm used to working with Adobe.
So, what I want to be able to do is, save a pdf file, using adobe, and have the keyboard work properly, so that I can name the file that I'm saving.
I was hoping that the problem was that I just have a wrong setting or something, that can easily be changed, but I guess not.
I'll continue to use my work-around of Renaming the file after it's been saved.
Thanks for your help with this Wolfie :):)

Reaction score
I'm not very techie, so uninstalling and re-installing is not a good option for me. I was using Edge before for Adobe, and I didn't like it, so I had someone install adobe for me. I'm used to working with Adobe.
Which version of Adobe? The free Adobe Acrobat Reader or the paid-for Adobe Acrobat? The free version is not good with creating documents and downloaded .pdf files can be opened for reading, sometimes allow printing and other functions allowed or prohibited by the author of the documents. The paid-for version has lots of functions available for users as needed but not cheap. I use both albeit my Adobe Acrobat is several versions old.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I dont see a problem with the programs , as you have the same experience with two.
Have you, by chance, got Sophos installed. It is well known for that fault?

Reaction score
When I'm saving a pdf file to my hard drive, and I type in a name for the file name, the keyboard doesn't work properly
Hi Mary,

does this only happen with PDF files or anything you type?.

Open Settings > Time & Language > Language then on your installed language then options, add a keyboard (UK English as an example) and remove the one KB that was originally there. Also, swap the KB (I assume USB connected) to a different USB port!. :)

1592582511533.png

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie ~
It only happens with PDF, not Word or Excel. the keyboard section doesn't give me an option to uninstall or reinstall and I don't trust myself to do it correctly if I had the option.
I have a wireless mouse. I didn't pay for this adobe, it was downloaded (by someone else), for free. Maybe that's the reason I'm having problems. :(

Reaction score
Which version of Adobe? The free Adobe Acrobat Reader or the paid-for Adobe Acrobat? The free version is not good with creating documents and downloaded .pdf files can be opened for reading, sometimes allow printing and other functions allowed or prohibited by the author of the documents. The paid-for version has lots of functions available for users as needed but not cheap. I use both albeit my Adobe Acrobat is several versions old.

I have the free version. Maybe that's the problem. I'll think about buying a version, but not right now. for now, I'll just live with it. Thanks for your input on this Bighorn !!! :)

Reaction score
I dont see a problem with the programs , as you have the same experience with two.
Have you, by chance, got Sophos installed. It is well known for that fault?
I don't know what you mean by "you have the same experience with two", I don't have Sophos, don't even know what it is. Thanks for your input

Ask a Question