Keyboard press does not work to bring up password prompt

Reaction score
My keyboard (and every key on it is working 100%. )

However, when I boot up my laptop I HAVE TO INVOKE THE LOGIN PROMPT SCREEN BY TOUCHPAD MOUSE CLICK ONLY AND IT CANNOT BE INVOKED BY A KEYBOARD KEY PRESS. Once I get the login prompt I AM ABLE TO ENTER MY PIN OR PASSWORD to log in

When my laptop is on and I hit Win + L to lock it, I AM ABLE TO INVOKE THE PASSWORD PROMPT BY EITHER KEYBOARD KEY PRESS OR TOUCHPAD MOUSE CLICK

Reaction score
Have you tried logging on with the on screen Keyboard.
If it gets you in, open the settings - ease of access, and make sure the "use filter keys" is OFF

Reaction score
Thanks both....maybe I am not able to express myself well

The keyboard works perfectly well ! I do not need the on screen keyboard to type in my password or PIN - I can do it with the regular keyboard

All I said was to invoke the password input field onto the lock screen on boot up I have to click the touchpad and this password input field is NOT invoked with a keyboard keypress (which it should). Once the password input field is on the screen the keyboard may be used to input the PIN / password

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with your original post!
But I can see that you are able to login .

You must have a maladjustment of your settings in the Bios, (I suspect) It would be unusual that windows 10 is changing an option before you have even logged in! - Just a thought?

Reaction score
That is an odd issue. There is a way to eliminate the lock screen altogether and just have it boot directly to the login screen. But that takes a registry modification, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are comfortable with editing the registry.

Reaction score
I am not certain that is what the op is looking for, but, the procedure is not to mind blowing:
  1. Right click the start orb and in the "run" box Type Control Userpassword2
  2. Untick the box next to 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' and hit 'Apply'
  3. In the window that follows. Enter your username and password, then re-enter your password. ...
  4. Click 'OK' again to save the changes.
  5. If ever you wish to reverse the procedure, do the opposite in No.2.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not sure. It sounds to me like he can't get to the login screen by hitting a key on the keyboard. I used to hit space or the up arrow to slide the lock screen up (or drag it with the mouse). I've eliminated that screen altogether. I apologize if that's not what he meant.

Reaction score
I agree with you first sentence. fwiw, that is all I do _ hit a key or the left mouse.
As you say, though, long time ago, I have been auto logging fot some years, as my default

Reaction score
Update:
I can get to the password prompt from the lock screen by using Ctrl +Alt+Del combination
then to focus the cursor into the password field I need to Ctrl+Alt+Esc
then type in the password using keyboard

I have checked that
I have no policy, no registry entry and no check mark in netplwiz for requiring me to use ctrl+alt+del for sure

Ask a Question