SOLVED A couple of Items

Reaction score
Couldn't think of a useful title for this thread!

I only pop in and download a build, when I spot something that might interest me.
I am on the latest build (17112.1).
So, a couple of queries from anyone who is more actyive with the insiders.

Is it normal that the build is not activated+ I can see the answer is Yes, but would like confirmation.
I still get definition and other updates. A little pointless, under the circumstances, to get the definition updates. Is this also normal?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it normal that the build is not activated
No.
My build is activated as normal, with a digital license which is associated with the hardware and my account that I use with the Insider Program.
Which I believe is unique to insider builds in that it uses both the machine ID as well as the account, where as normally, a typical Windows 10 machine is just associated with the machine.

Capture.PNG

I still get definition and other updates. A little pointless, under the circumstances, to get the definition updates. Is this also normal?
Yes.
Most Windows 10 installations will run almost normally without actual activation.
It just will not allow some normal customizations like "Personalization".

Reaction score
Oany tks. Trouble
perhaps, if it makes a difference, I should have said this was a clean install inside VMware.
I installed from a self made ISO. I think that could be the problem

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That shouldn't make any difference.
I've clean installed the insider preview in multiple instances both on physical machines and within Hyper-V (Microsoft's virtual machine product).
The only caveat being that in every instance, it has been on the same physical or VM that had hosted the same or a previous version of an Insider Preview previously and I used my Microsoft account that is associated with the Insider Program.
Even in the case of a VM install there is an association with the hardware present in that environment.

I actually had a similar issue a year or so back when I upgrade my main machine from an AMD based motherboard, chipset and processor to an all Intel system.
I thought that I could simply use my .VHDs from my old VMs from the AMD machine on the Intel system.
EPIC FAIL.
The underlying physical hardware produces different VM hardware so I was never able to activate even after jumping through some MS hoops.
I had to start over again from scratch.

Ask a Question