A question for Win10 dualbooters

Reaction score
Currently, I have Windows on my hard drive and Linux Mint on a USB flash. Normal booting goes straight to Windows with no BIOS popup, because I have grub saved on the USB drive.

To load Linux: with Win7 on the HD, on my HP, I hold ESC down until the boot menu pops up, choose the USB, then choose Linux on the grub popup. To reload Win7, all I have to is reboot and it goes straight there.

With Win10 on the HD, I can boot Linux as described. But when I reboot, the Win10 splash comes up but the loading twirly never appears, so Win10 never boots. The only way to get it back is to restore a backup I keep handy.

That alone is enough to keep me from switching to 10 permanently, unless one of you knows a trick. And by the way, it's a ten year old HP with BIOS and no UEFI.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Is the 10 install and upgrade over your windows 7? Did you leave in the USB stick that has Linux on it during the upgrade to windows 10?

It sounds like to me your boot loader is corrupted or missing or installed some where else other than the HDD that it should be on. You can use EasyBCD to take control of your boot loader and see if you can get it to boot up.

Reaction score
Yes on both questions. I had EBCD before and was wondering if it was time to reinstall. Thanks.

But I guess I need Easy BCD for Linux since it's the only OS that'll boot once Linux has booted. That is, EBCD for Windows won't do me much good if I can't boot Windows.

Will try Linux app MBR Utility next time this happens.

Last edited:

Ask a Question