About Free Win10 Upgrade File

Reaction score
Hulloo Folks, - just a quick question about the free Win10 upgrade file itself:

When it's downloaded, does it automatically start upgrading Win7, or can you choose to store it for a while and manually install when you're ready?

Here's the thing: Would like to upgrade this Win7 Ultimate machine over the coming holiday break, but need time to back-up Win7 to a separate disk in preperation for a dual boot system - and I might upgrade some of the hardware too. It'd be handy if the Win10 file can stored meantime. Probably it can be... can anyone confirm?

Thanx.

Reaction score
If you're upgrading the version of Windows you plan on dual booting, it won't work. Once you upgrade Windows 7, that key will no longer be genuine, unless you roll back your upgrade. You can't have both activated at the same time.

You can use the Media Creation Tool, to download Windows 10 to a flash drive or DVD, if you want to wait to install it. And there's plenty of free programs out there that let you clone your disk to another. But again, you won't be able to dual boot them, legally.

Reaction score
If you're upgrading the version of Windows you plan on dual booting, it won't work. Once you upgrade Windows 7, that key will no longer be genuine, unless you roll back your upgrade. You can't have both activated at the same time.

You can use the Media Creation Tool, to download Windows 10 to a flash drive or DVD, if you want to wait to install it. And there's plenty of free programs out there that let you clone your disk to another. But again, you won't be able to dual boot them, legally.

Well... looks like I'll have to scratch the free upgrade and simply buy a full retail version of Win10 Pro if I want a bone fide dual boot system. Did just that with a Vista/Win7 (Ultimate) dual boot system with no problems. (Just a lot more work initially loading programs and user-files to the new OS.)

Silly me. I should have realised that the offer is for an 'upgrade' - not a stand-alone virgin install. If I want my cake and the ability to eat it too, I'll just have to pay for the privilege. Fair dues. At least I now know what I'll be treating myself to for a Xmas present! :)

Thanks for the info.

Ask a Question