Access one hdd from another on same pc as tho I had booted into first hdd

Reaction score
Problem: have vss problem ( backup failed 0x8004231f) ..AND boot problem on drive D (cannot fix with Easybcd or thru windows installation dvd troubleshoot/ repair/cmd prompt using bootrec commands). Like to use C:\ as tho I booted into D:\ to get into computer mgt/services to be sure (1) vss is enabled and set to start auto . Then (2) use cmd prompt using vssadmin commands to fix vss issues. Then finally , (3) make backup image and try it again. Can I do it?

Reaction score
1.) Start Advanced Startup Options if you're using Windows 10 or Windows 8. See How to Access Advanced Startup Options if you're not sure how to do that.

Start System Recovery Options if you're using Windows 7 or Windows Vista. See the How To Access the System Recovery Options Menu section in that link I just gave you for help if this is your first time using the menu.

2.) Open Command Prompt from Advanced Startup Options or System Recovery Options menu.

Note: The Command Prompt available from these diagnostic menus is very similar to the one you may be familiar with within Windows. Also, the following procedure should work identically in Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista.
At the prompt, type the bootrec command as shown below and then press Enter:

3.) bootrec /rebuildbcd

The bootrec command will search for Windows installations not included in the Boot Configuration Data and then ask you if you'd like to add one or more to it.

4.) You should see one of the following messages at the command line.
Option 1

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Option 2

Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] D:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:

If you see:

Option 1: Move on to Step 5. This result most likely means that Windows installation data in the BCD store exists but bootrec couldn't find any additional installations of Windows on your computer to add to the BCD. That's fine, you'll just need to take a few extra steps to rebuild the BCD.

Option 2: Enter Y or Yes to the Add installation to boot list? question, after which you should see a The operation completed successfully message, followed by a blinking cursor at the prompt. Finish up with Step 10 toward the bottom of the page.

5.) Since the BCD store exists and lists a Windows installation, you'll first have to "remove" it manually and then try to rebuild it again.

At the prompt, execute the bcdedit command as shown and then press Enter:

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup

The bcdedit command is used here to export the BCD store as a file: bcdbackup. There's no need to specify a file extension.

The command should return the following on screen:

meaning the BCD export worked as expected.

6.)At this point, you need to adjust several file attributes for the BCD store so you can manipulate it.

At the prompt, execute the attrib command exactly like this:

attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

What you just did with the attrib command was remove the hidden, read-only, and system attributes from the file bcd. Those attributes restricted the actions you could take on the file. Now that they're gone, you can manipulate the file more freely - specifically, rename it.

7.) To rename the BCD store, execute the ren command as shown:

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

Now that the BCD store is renamed, you should now be able to successfully rebuild it, as you tried to do in Step 3.

Note: You could delete the BCD file entirely since you're about to create a new one. However, renaming the existing BCD accomplishes the same thing since it's now unavailable to Windows, plus provides you yet another layer of backup, in addition to the export you did in Step 5 if you decide to undo your actions.

8.) Try rebuilding the BCD again by executing the following, followed by Enter:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

which should produce this in the Command Prompt window:

Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] D:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:

meaning that the BCD store rebuild is progressing as expected.

9.) At the Add installation to boot list? question, type Enter Y or Yes, followed by the Enter key.

You should see this on screen:

meaning that the BCD rebuild is complete.

10.) Restart your computer.

Assuming that an issue with the BCD store was the only problem, Windows should start as expected.

If not, continue to troubleshoot whatever specific issue you're seeing that's preventing Windows from booting normally.

Important: Depending on how you started Advanced Startup Options or System Recovery Options, you may need to remove a disc or flash drive before restarting.

Reaction score
Hey Snuffy. Glad to see you haven't been hit by the virus. I am certainly familiar with everything you just told me. Been there, done that.
I believe my vss problem has affected that hdd as I have used ALL of the bootrec cmds, bcdedit, diskpart etc often and never had a problem before. Windows repair , Easy Re, etc can't do anything with it so I know its messed up.

Yes I 've run the Advanced Startup Options so many times I can do it in my sleep! I have to use a spare pc tho as my main pc still will not let me into bios to use dvd /cd or any other option at boot just hard drive. PITA. It's an old one so maybe time to lose it. Anyway, I have 4 other hdds to use so this one in question is just to play around with & see if I can get it to work again.

Stay well !

Reaction score
some manufactures have issued a app to instant boot to bios from Desktop called "UEFI Restart" I do love mine.
1. click to open, 2. slide to Enter UEFI on Reboot and 3. slide to reboot now and Im auto restarted to BIOS.
you might find this info helpful

Reaction score
Some interesting stuff there. Unfortunately, mine is not supported ( story of my life). Just under the threshold. I'll get it yet.

Thank you sir!

Reaction score
LOL, on 10 since inception
Old pc : dell optiplex 3010 and support for your BIOS stuff begins with 3020.
good pc died so got a rebuilt.
Hey, it works.
Hell, I'm 75 and may die any day!
:)

Reaction score
LOL, on 10 since inception
Old pc : dell optiplex 3010 and support for your BIOS stuff begins with 3020.
good pc died so got a rebuilt.
Hey, it works.
Hell, I'm 75 and may die any day!
:)
Got you beat, I'm a bit over 80. And you are not alone, we all will die any day. I also like older computers, newest Desktop is about 4 years old and last New Notebook I got is just a few months older although I did pick up a couple of Dell Latitude Renew/Refurbished Note books a few months ago for about $150USD each with a 1 year warranty.

Reaction score
I simply Love to be the Inbetweener 77 - 78 in August. I have enough (All brands) from Clients, HP, Sony, Dell, Acer, Toshiba. So i went my self (Home Built Desktops - Custom Built Ryzen 9, ASRock Mobo 570 series, and mostly SSDs or M.2 Ultra's. Laptops are Surface Pro by MS. easy to carry, very portable, and wifi via out PUs, when out.
Too damn onery to die young, Cancer since 1998. and still kicking, Retired US Army, Retired - My own Computer Company, TTT Spec Co. Beta Tester for MS since Pre-Win95. That is when MS mailed out CDs. ;)

Reaction score
Older computer? Just checked a Dell OptiPlex GX520 with WinXP Pro w/SP3 32-bit although the CPU is 64-bit capable. Another to add to my inventory, okay as its 3.5" floppy drive still works for those occasions when a client finds a disk and wants to know what is on it. I've a couple of Epson combination 3.5" and 5.25" drives in a box somewhere.

Ask a Question