Windows 10: You do not have permission to access.........

Reaction score
I'm trying to network a laptop and a desktop. I can't get the laptop to appear on the desktop pc and on the laptop the desktop does appear but when I click on the desktop I get the "You do not have permission...." error message. I've tried everything you can find on the internet and nothing works. I've opened the properties for the drive I want to share and gave full permissions to everyone as well as the administrator, etc. and it is still not working. Networking worked fine in windows 7 but when I upgraded to windows 10 my problems began and have been persistent. I use a wake on lan process which allows me to use my desktop from my laptop but I can't transfer files because the networking doesn't work. Is there a fix or not?

Reaction score
You have to SHARE ea to allow you to access, and It is best to have a PASS for ea.... on a couple of version of Windows 10, it was easy to
1.) have both the same name as user
2.) have both the same pass
Make sure you have networking set proper. I have mine set as follows
1578241226939.png
1578241274316.png
1578241338791.png

Reaction score
I have done everything you said - several times before your response - and it doesn't work. When I open the network folder on the desktop it shows a file tsclient but it can't be opened and I have no idea what it is. The laptop shows the desktop but when I try to open it all I get is that I do not have permissions. This is a microsoft problem and if they don't want to fix it that's fine. I'll just use a flash drive to move files. They had a good product and screwed it up - once with windows 8 and now with windows 10. So be it!

Reaction score
I do wish i could duplicate your issue... but I can not, and I wonder if more info was included it it can be solved, also being a MS Tester, If MS can not duplicate your issue how can they fix.. can you show a pic of your share accounts.
1578272753846.png
If the share permissions are not set proper then you can not access. can you access the folder via browser, I can I also can access via network
1578273028392.png

login-pass on both ? - which is master Desktop or Laptop? which is first boot?

Code:
tsclient (Terminal Server Client) is a discontinued  frontend for rdesktop and other remote desktop tools, which allow remotely controlling one computer from another. It is a GNOME application. Notable visual options include color depth, screen size, and motion blocking.

Features include: a GNOME panel applet to quickly launch saved profiles, sound support, similar look and functionality to the Microsoft client and compatibility with its file format, interface translated into more than 20 languages,[weasel words] and support for rdesktop 1.3, Xnest and VNC clients (*vncviewer).
I would suggest you now do a Repair install of your windows 10, and clean all the trash you have left over.

Reaction score
You have to SHARE ea to allow you to access, and It is best to have a PASS for ea.... on a couple of version of Windows 10, it was easy to
1.) have both the same name as user
2.) have both the same pass
For those of us that do not use passwords. We are all out of luck. I quit fighting network connections nearly a decade ago. Grew tired of loosing connections, I had created months earlier. Other than printing and Internet connections, I fell back on simply using thumb drives.

Reaction score
MS has stated with the new Security, the need to have Passwords is most needed. It is super easy to change login name and pass, you also can add the login/pass to be automatic so you have no need to remember it does take away some security, but if you want to NETWORK, then abide by a few annoyances... Networking is much faster than USBs,

Reaction score
I have no need in using passwords with a local account. For me a thumb drive is much easier (and faster).

Anyway I've derailed the topic long enough. I'm just stating my opinion and frustrations, trying to do what the OP is working on.

Reaction score
Attached are pdf word documents of the print screen shots I took of both PC's. Hope this is what you are asking for.

Attachments

• Screen Shots Desktop.pdf
    534.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Screen Shots Laptop.pdf
    544.5 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Reaction score
I can see that on Desktop it only shows the Desktop and the laptop can see Desktop but not access it, looks like you have not actually linked them together. yes on same network but not linked. access is granted with laptop can access with allowed access by login and pass.
you need to have Share Access allowed... No Share no access that is unless you use Remote. and Remote is very dangerous.
1578339766005.png
notice what I have set as Shared on Desktop.
1578339820911.png

Reaction score
I do wish i could duplicate your issue... but I can not, and I wonder if more info was included it it can be solved, also being a MS Tester, If MS can not duplicate your issue how can they fix.. can you show a pic of your share accounts.View attachment 11120 If the share permissions are not set proper then you can not access. can you access the folder via browser, I can I also can access via network
View attachment 11121

login-pass on both ? - which is master Desktop or Laptop? which is first boot?

Code:
tsclient (Terminal Server Client) is a discontinued  frontend for rdesktop and other remote desktop tools, which allow remotely controlling one computer from another. It is a GNOME application. Notable visual options include color depth, screen size, and motion blocking.

Features include: a GNOME panel applet to quickly launch saved profiles, sound support, similar look and functionality to the Microsoft client and compatibility with its file format, interface translated into more than 20 languages,[weasel words] and support for rdesktop 1.3, Xnest and VNC clients (*vncviewer).
I would suggest you now do a Repair install of your windows 10, and clean all the trash you have left over.

Just for the record, I have been experiencing exactly the same issue that Skullptor has described to you. The fact that you cannot "reproduce" it does not mean that it does not exist. This is an important distinction that I think escapes you. It is easy to fire a lot of questions at someone who is turning to you for help. Superficially, this looks like professional communication. In reality, it is not. This is especially true when linguistic difficulties prevent you from expressing yourself clearly in writing and when you do not have helpful answers to Skullptor's questions. Skullptor has been clear and direct with the information that he has provided. You should just admit that, despite your credentials, you are unable to help him. Directing him to someone who could help him would be a thoughtful, courteous - and professional - gesture.

Ask a Question