SOLVED Locked out of Windows 10 after cleaning up Permissions.

G

Gonman.exe

While browsing through my computer I noticed that a few of my files contained strange permissions (such as having duplicate Administration permissions, one with "Read Only" and one with "Full Access"). I decided to clean up my permissions and set everything back to the way I thought I had found it, until I ran into an issue with the login screen.

After making the changes to permissions and restarting my computer, I was greeted by a Windows 10 loading screen that did not continue onto the login screen. I guess the permission for the files that are responsible for user login some how did not get the right permissions (like TrustedInstaller or SYSTEM).

I have a copy of Windows 10 on a CD and so can access a cmd prompt. There must be a line of code I can put in to regain access to my laptop. I've gotten this far: "cacls FILENAME /e /p USERNAME:f" (give "Full Access" to USERNAME).

What I don't know is the file name (where the files are for booting up the user login) and what permissions those files need in order to boot and start.

Can anyone help with this? It's got to be one line of code to get my Windows 10 working again....

p.s. I have tried all the WinRE options, such as fix boot. I'm trying to avoid having to reinstall or rollback everything...

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Gonman.

My best guess is that you need to enter through Safe Mode and do a System Restore. My second suggestion is that you restart while repeatedly pressing F8 (You might have to use F9) to get you to the Advanced options screen.

G

Gonman.exe

Welcome aboard, Gonman.

My best guess is that you need to enter through Safe Mode and do a System Restore. My second suggestion is that you restart while repeatedly pressing F8 (You might have to use F9) to get you to the Advanced options screen.
Thank you for the welcome! I'm trying to avoid having to reinstall or rollback anything. I know what I changed and I know why I'm not getting the login prompt. Someone must know what folders I need to update the permissions for...

G

Gonman.exe

I tried a reset and this time the loading screen recognizes the color of my theme, but doesn't load the login options.

Reaction score
Well, you're gaining ground. At the command prompt that you can reach, type sfc /scannow. It should take about an hour and a half. If it encounters any corrupted files that it can't fix, type (or copy and paste) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the PowerShell window and press the [Return] key.

Ask a Question