Windows 10 has locked my PC so that it will not power on

Reaction score
Im not really sure if Win 10 is actually installed - I think probably not completely. Scenario: downloaded on Jul 29 so as not to lose the free upgrade. Took a few tries, but next day I thought I had it happening. It was 'configuring' for about 4 hours when this msg appeared in bottom right corner: 'Windows Build 7601 is not genuine.' It is genuine. The screen went black and the cursor went to the middle of the screen. Couldn't do any function, could not get to any menu. Did Ctl-Alt-Del several times, each time coming back to the same screen. Finally, with no progress being made, I pushed the on/off button on the tower and shut off the PC. Now comes the problem - it will not power on. Yes, I checked all of the cables. The PC is a Dell 530 tower unit. I have a System Repair disk for Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit if I could get it to turn on. If it restarts in Win 7 that's fine. I'll go from there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have a System Repair disk for Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit if I could get it to turn on.
You may need to hard reset it.
Turn it off (as best you can), unplug it from AC power, press and hold the power button for a count of 30.
Plug it back into the wall and power it on.
See if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
You may need to hard reset it.
Turn it off (as best you can), unplug it from AC power, press and hold the power button for a count of 30.
Plug it back into the wall and power it on.
See if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
Yes, that finally did it. I had just checked all the connections again. Under the PC power plug, a green light was on. To me that says power getting to the PC...?? I dutifully did as you said, unplugging for a while, then rep lugging, holding the power button for some seconds when it STARTED. Thank you so much.

Ask a Question