Windows 10 Upgrade Locked My Laptop

Reaction score
I have an older HP G7 laptop which was running Windows 7. I kept receiving the "You're good to upgrade to Windows 10" messages from Microsoft and decided to give it a shot. From the beginning I had problems with video and sound and found that there were no Windows 10 drivers for my older components. Therefore, I decided to take the option to go back to Windows 7. Unfortunately, attempting to do so locked up my laptop. When I boot up it's giving me a "Microsoft.net" email address with a request for a password I don't have. I called Microsoft and they told me they'd be happy to upgrade me to Windows 10; I said THAT was what caused the problem in the first place. The woman I spoke with blissfully ignored what I was telling her, that I was stuck on a login screen and wanted to get back to Windows 7. She said they could upgrade me to Windows 10 (aarrgh) for a "Small Fee". "How small?" i asked? "$199.99". LOL

So, the upgrade to Windows 10 paperweights my laptop and Microsoft is gracious enough to tell me if I give them $199.99 they will upgrade my laptop to the OS that trashed it in the first place? Now THAT'S service! Incredible! :rolleyes:

All I want to do is get INTO my laptop and return to Windows 7. No upgrade; no $199.99. Just back to the safety and reliability of Windows 7...and a functioning laptop again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The password ought to be whatever you used to use with Windows 7

Perhaps you changed that when you installed Windows 10 and are trying to log in using the Windows 10 password rather than your former Windows 7 password.

Reaction score
CJ, try typing in every password you have ever had. Other people with this problem report that 10 wanted a password for some account that they have elsewhere.

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the replies. I didn't have a password with Windows 7. I have tried every conceivable password I can think of. It IS the Windows 10 logon screen I am encountering. I tried to a password recovery for that logon email address, but it's telling me I haven't provided enough data when trying to do so.

Reaction score
Okay, CJ, try these suggestions:

Make sure that your Caps lock and Num lock aren't turned on.

If you can disconnect from the internet, try getting into Windows.

In the bottom right corner, you might see ENG. See if 10 didn't switch you from a US to a UK keyboard, or vice-versa.

Does a power icon appear in the bottom left corner? If so, try to enter through Safe Mode.

Does it say "I'm not...anywhere on the screen? If so, click it and stay online. You might be trapped in an interrupted upgrade. The Windows 10 upgrade will then complete.

Reaction score
Hi Vince. Unfortunately, none of those options are available to me. It seems I am able to maneuver past the login screen (I think); however, I then run into the screen asking for my Windows product key. I can do a "CTRL+ALT+DEL" which brings up the task manager, but I don't know if that is helpful or not. It IS a Windows 10 interface that I'm running into with all this. At this point I'll stick with Windows 10 if need be; I just want to be able to use my laptop again. I'm irritated because I followed all the directions in installing the new OS and then those when trying to revert back to Windows 7. Now my laptop is inaccessible.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I then run into the screen asking for my Windows product key.

I'm a little confused now. Did you roll back to Windows 7 or not?

Windows 10 assigns a Digital key specific to your computer rather than a Product Key per se.

If you are at a screen requesting your Product Key that information ought to be on a Sticker stuck on your Laptop.

The sticker is more than likely beneath the laptop battery.

If you were supplied Windows 7 DVD's to install the OS then the Product Key sticker will be stuck to back of DVD case. Orange sticker with 25 alphanumeric characters in the format:
  • XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

If you can get into the Safe Mode screen let me know as I can provide you a script you can run that will pull the Product Key from your Windows Registry.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question