SOLVED Locked Out Of My Hp Laptop Windows 10 Os

Reaction score
Fired up my HP laptop, a few minutes ago, it seemed to have booted up okay. However, when I attempt to enter my 10-character password, it only allows 6 characters, then it doesn't allow any other characters. I have tried rebooting at least a dozen times, and have read several threads on this topic, here. Have not, as yet, come across the exact same problem, but have tried using solutions to similar issues with no good result. I would sincerely appreciate the help as I am going to load all my photos onto a thumb drive once I get in -- if that ever happens.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Look closely at the sign-in screen -> sign-in options and make sure that you are not being prompted for a "PIN" and entering a password or being prompted for a Password and entering a PIN.
Failing that....
Near the bottom of the sign-in screen you should see an icon representing power / on / off
power.png

Use that, while holding the "Shift" key on your keyboard to choose "Restart".
Progress through the subsequent screens to use Startup Settings to start the computer into Safe Mode, choice number 4 when you reach the appropriate screen.
You may also want to test, using the same process if necessary to see if Safe Mode with Networking, choice number 5.
See if you can log into the system in Safe Mode and or Safe Mode with Networking.

Reaction score
Thank you, Noob, for your response. However, none of the icons in the left-bottom corner show up, so I cannot even try your suggestion. All I have is the password window, and nothing else, and I cannot get past that because I keep being told to go go live.com to reset the password. Once I go there, they want me to sign in to my Microsoft acct. Heck, I have no idea what my username or password for that account is. Rebooting does not help. Rebooting while holding the shift key does not help. Rebooting while tapping f8 does nothing. I have been cruising through help sites all day, and nothing has worked for me. Would bouncing the darned thing off the sidewalk from my 4th floor window jar it loose? Getting very frustrated with this POS, and really just want to give it away. I am on this site on my Linux OS computer, and have truly had it with MS Windows in all it's incarnations.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would bouncing the darned thing off the sidewalk from my 4th floor window jar it loose?
Probably not, but with someone on the ground with a video camera, it might make a helluva YouTube video.
Boot from the installation media, use the Repair your computer link on the second page to access the advanced troubleshooting options.
You should be able to use "Startup settings" from there to get into Safe Mode.
There should also be a Startup Repair as well as a System Restore option available.

Reaction score
I spent another hour, this morning, booting and rebooting my laptop - nothing. How can I obtain "the installation media. apparently nothing resembling that came with this computer. Getting desperate.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can obtain the latest ISO for Windows 10 from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
by using the Media Creation tool to download the ISO.
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
http://rufus.akeo.ie/

You may also want to try some of the advanced troubleshooting options accessible when booted from the installation media
When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options from there you might try
Startup Repair
System Restore (to go back to a date in time prior to the problem)
Startup settings (to get to safe mode from there).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed-back. Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue.
Glad you managed to hang in there and work through it. Those types of problems can be a bit daunting, not to mention aggravating, frustrating and generally annoying, so......
Thank you .... for your perseverance :)

Ask a Question