Account and power button disappeared from login screen

Reaction score
I did a system recovery via the method of holding shift while pressing restart on the login screen I chose recover and keep files. It listed the 2 accounts on my pc mine and my daughters I selected mine it promoted me for the password I entered it. When the recovery finished I'm greeted by a photo of my daughters face being prompted to log into her account and no option of choosing mine. And only the network button and the ease of access button appear on the bottom right now. No power button! Which means I can't even click to shut down the pc or do the full recovery which by now I rather just do. Frustratingly enough nobody has that password or any info about that account to recover it. it was just a throw together to keep her out of mines.

Im asking is there a way that i can get into my computer? I do not want to create a USB or a disk is there a factory reset that I can do from the bios? I have an Asus. Or is there a way that I can get Microsoft to just let me into my damn pc? I even see it listed in my devices under my Microsoft account. How can I not log in to my own pc I'm very furious.
IMG_20160417_032206~01.jpg

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

It would help to know the exact model of ASUS you are talking about.

However, that said, If you reboot computer, usually tapping the F9 key as it boots, will force the computer to boot to a hidden partition which would allow you to do a Factory Reset of the computer. That effectively resets everything to the day you bought it meaning you will lose anything you have not backed up since that day. You will also end up with the Original OS that came with the computer, so depending on its age this could be anything from Windows XP, to Windows 10. Note: Remember the free upgrade to Windows 10 is only available for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users, so if your factory reset leaves you with Windows XP, or Vista you will need to install at the minimum Windows 7 after the reset to be able to download and install Windows 10 for free.

• Reboot computer
  • When ASUS logo appears tap F9
  • When Boot Manager appears press Enter
  • Select the language you want then click Next
  • Read the Onscreen instructions carefully !!! then click Next
  • Choose the Factory install you want based on having read the previous screens instructions
  • When ready click Next then follow prompts as the Factory reset takes place

Note: This is the standard Factory reset options for ASUS (in particular their laptops). There may be slight variations for the Desktop range. So if the above will not work for you, then post to Forum the exact Model you are wanting to reset. A factory reset will leave you with as bought computer, including the OS it came with.

If you cannot afford to lose emails, photos, music, documents etcetera you created since owning computer, you would be much wiser creating a Windows 10 ISO CD or USB stick, and doing a repair install of the OS instead to allow you to save all current files. If you need help with how to do that just let the forum know and I or someone else will show you what to do with a working computer.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you have an answer to why the power icon and my account disappeared and a way to solve that? Also the pc was custom built does that matter? If so how exactly.

Hi Mark,

It would help to know the exact model of ASUS you are talking about.

However, that said, If you reboot computer, usually tapping the F9 key as it boots, will force the computer to boot to a hidden partition which would allow you to do a Factory Reset of the computer. That effectively resets everything to the day you bought it meaning you will lose anything you have not backed up since that day. You will also end up with the Original OS that came with the computer, so depending on its age this could be anything from Windows XP, to Windows 10. Note: Remember the free upgrade to Windows 10 is only available for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users, so if your factory reset leaves you with Windows XP, or Vista you will need to install at the minimum Windows 7 after the reset to be able to download and install Windows 10 for free.

• Reboot computer
  • When ASUS logo appears tap F9
  • When Boot Manager appears press Enter
  • Select the language you want then click Next
  • Read the Onscreen instructions carefully !!! then click Next
  • Choose the Factory install you want based on having read the previous screens instructions
  • When ready click Next then follow prompts as the Factory reset takes place

Note: This is the standard Factory reset options for ASUS (in particular their laptops). There may be slight variations for the Desktop range. So if the above will not work for you, then post to Forum the exact Model you are wanting to reset. A factory reset will leave you with as bought computer, including the OS it came with.

If you cannot afford to lose emails, photos, music, documents etcetera you created since owning computer, you would be much wiser creating a Windows 10 ISO CD or USB stick, and doing a repair install of the OS instead to allow you to save all current files. If you need help with how to do that just let the forum know and I or someone else will show you what to do with a working computer.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
The first thing doesn't work but I can get into some type of Asus boot menu from f8 or delete my motherboard is Asus. Is there a way that I can recover or log into my computer from there?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I can get into some type of Asus boot menu from f8

Hi Mark,

I assume then we are dealing with an ASUS Desktop computer. Again if you could let the forum know the precise model that would be helpful.

F8 ought to then be loading your Boot Menu from which you ought to be able to enter into Safe Mode with Networking (i.e. a Safe boot with internet access).

You may also have more advanced options such as a Repair option that would scan system and repair any corrupted system files.

Can you confirm please what options are listed in your Boot Menu after pressing F8

Could you also confirm the Model of your computer. ASUS q200e ? Something else?

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ok,

So based on that screen image your BIOS is set to try to boot from DVDROM first, then the Sata Primary Master (PM), then failing that the Sata Secondary Master (SM) partition.

That all seems normal.

So nothing to change there.

As you still have not told me what your ASUS model number is I can only guess what might be on the Secondary Master (and that may be a Recovery partition for Factory resetting the computer.

What do you see if you click on the Advanced Mode button or press F7?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Basically I don't know what "kind of Asus it is I basically bought all of the parts and had some tech store build it for me I ordered a random Asus motherboard is there away I can find out the version from this menu? And screenshot coming up..

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK,

In that Boot tab screen, are you able to disable the Fast Boot option?

If Fast boot is turned enabled you will not see the ASUS splash screen as the computer boots.

If it is disabled you then ought to be able to see the ASUS splash screen, and as soon as you see that you can press F9 to get to the choice to do a Factory reset.

As I mentioned earlier, if you choose to do a Factory reset your computer will be reinstalling the original OS that came with the computer when it was purchased, and all other data (emails, pictures, music file, documents, software installed by you that did not come with the original computer settings) will be lost.

If you are not happy with that as an option then you will need to create a Windows 10 ISO disk that you can insert into your ROM drive and boot to it to then start a clean install of Windows 10. During this process you can choose to save files and settings, which may be a better option for you have you not backed up previous files in the past.

As for the model # - if techs built it they hopefully stuck a sticker on the back, side or underneath the Desktop tower.

At the very least they should have provided you a Windows OS certificate with your product key on it.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I see the Asus logo every time f9 might not be an option or is there a very tiny window of time when I can press it? Are we looking for the motherboard model number? Because like I said it's a custom build of different parts that I bought online from Amazon. There are a lot of other options that seem like they may help but of course 8 don't want to mess with them and do more damage

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well you need to be quick pressing F9 yes, however if this machine is custom built the people setting it up may not have created a Recovery Partition in which case F9 won't do a thing.

Can you contact the Tech who built and installed the OS and find out whether they created a Factory Reset / Recovery partition?

If you don't have a Recovery Partition then your only option is to get a Windows 10 Disk. You can download the ISO file for free from Microsoft, burn it to a CD/DVD or make a USB version.

Then use that to reinstall Windows.

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
Sure, and something apparently went wrong during that process meaning you'll need to do it again.

Ultimately you may need to do a full clean install which would mean starting from scratch (losing data etcetera).

However, if you are lucky you may be able to do a less invasive install and save current files.

You can get the ISO from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

You can learn how to use that ISO here: https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/

Or you can get your daughter to remember her password, in which case you could log in, then gain access to the Admin Command Prompt and set up Permissions and re-enable your own account etcetera.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
But ok can you just teach me the step by step lamens terms method of how do I do the alternate recovery? I would prefer the USB one. I have basic computer knowledge but be as simple clarify and detailed as you can and thank you

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you tried booting back to the login screen.

Sometimes Windows processes are still going on and if you wait a few minutes things start appearing you cannot see. Perhaps if you are super lucky your own account will reappear along with the using icons in the bottom right corner.

Otherwise its the options all ready mentioned sorry.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question