Account and power button disappeared from login screen

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I assume at this point you are using a Recovery Disk for computer to get to those splash screens.

While computer boots with that disk in can you choose Command Prompt like so:

windows%208%20troubleshooting%20option_zpsijsmfpha.jpg

Windows-8-advanced-boot-option_thumb.jpg

Alternatively, if you are using a more classic Repair Disk and getting to the Black Screen with a list of options printed in white text like this one:

Image04-300x225.png

Use your Down Arrow key to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt

OK once at a command prompt type or copy & paste the following command:

bcdboot X:\Windows /s X:
Note: Replace the two X's with the drive letter Windows is on ( most likely C )

Now press Enter key to execute command.

That should resolve the error message "The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Report back on your progress.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your help I didn't need to do the additional things the Bootable USB created 2 different selections that I could boot from I selected the first one and was able to do the full recovery and I managed to keep all my files that were on my secondary drive. It was locked in a low resolution at first but a restart brought it to full 1080p this was technically solved with the USB solution

Regedit32

Reaction score
Take a note of the following commands.

You do not need to do anything with theses yet, but later on when Windows is finally accessible again do the following:

• Press Winkey + X
  • Press A or with mouse select Command Prompt (Admin)
This opens the Administrator: Command Prompt console to this prompt: C:\WINDOWS\System32>

• At that prompt type or copy & paste the following two commands (Pressing Enter key) after each command to execute.
  • First command: ReAgentC /disable
  • Second command: ReAgentC /enable
  • Finally type exit | press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console

The above two commands address a minor bug in Windows where having executed the BCDBOOT command in previous post the F8 actions Boot Advance Boot Menu suddenly ceases to display the option: Repair you computer.

These two commands simply resolve that so you can view the ' Repair your computer ' in that menu in the future should you need it.

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your help I didn't need to do the additional things the Bootable USB created 2 different selections that I could boot from I selected the first one and was able to do the full recovery and I managed to keep all my files that were on my secondary drive. It was locked in a low resolution at first but a restart brought it to full 1080p this was technically solved with the USB solution

Ahh fantastic news Mark :)

So at last then your problem is solved.

Now all you need to do is make sure your Daughter remembers her log in password, should you set up a separate account for her again.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
it looks like is partition as been deleted but you can try this see if it gives you the power button back

1. Search "Local Security Policy" in the search box.
  2. In the left pane, expand Local Policies, and click on Security Option
  3. In the right pane, right click on Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on and click onProperties. This should be set on Enabled.

Ask a Question