SOLVED Acronis System Images

Reaction score
I haven't seemed to find a definite answer to my question. So here I am again where I know I will get a definitive answer. :)

I partitioned my HD when I installed Windows 10, C: Windows 10 OS and partition and partition R: where all my personal data is stored.
When I regularly create recovery images; When doing so, I always create 2 images, C: and R: My question is, when I create an image of "C:" does Acronis include all of the C: drive partitions on my HD? In my case, that would be a complete image of both C: and R:
Currently I create two separate images, one for C: and one for R: Disk space on my external backup HD is not a problem and I find having 2 separate images, allows me to create differential imaging of the R: partition more frequently as the data is constantly (daily) changing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My question is, when I create an image of "C:" does Acronis include all of the C: drive partitions on my HD?
The short answer is "maybe".
The best way to determine what partitions are being backed up with a particular schema is.....
When you set up your imaging plan to expose the "full partition list"

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Reaction score
Trouble Thanks for the input, When I compare your version 2016 to mine 2013, I'm convinced now that my version does indeed have the ability to back up all partitions on C: drive. I could have tested by performing an image restore but didn't wanted to at this time.

Note the log (9) error, Fialed to read from disk is from my second USB HD that runs Aomei.
I always disconnect the USB drives when not in use.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    77.6 KB · Views: 529
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 544
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    68.5 KB · Views: 526
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 510
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 543
  • Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
    62.1 KB · Views: 543

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have four computers all running various versions of Acronis TI. 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and of course you have 2013 :)
Not too sure when they changed the UI to its' current goofy look and feel, but even going back before your version, I'm pretty sure that they all had some way of designating a drive to back up and then exposing and selecting the partition on that drive that you wanted to include in a particular .tib file.
Some may be more obvious than others and some may have even defaulted to all partitions on the drive once you picked the physical drive.
All I know is...... it isn't rocket science and is reasonably fool proof which comes in particularly handy in my use, as I can usually manage to test the limits of what is fool proof and what isn't.

Reaction score
I have and use Acronis 2016. Except I can't use the Windows software. I tried using the Windows software and have exactly the same confusion. The only way I can use Acronis 2016 is to use the bootable media.

I created an ISO with the bootable media builder facility. I also made an external USB drive bootable using a boot manager that would boot ISOs and then copied the ISO to the drive. Now all I have to do is boot to the external and make my backup image. No more guessing which drives I'm actually backing up.

P.S. I was managing PCs back in DOS days. There is no excuse dumbing software down in this fashion. It only makes things more confusing for people who actually know what they are doing. It only serves to make the computer illiterate feel better when everyone seems to be computer illiterate.

So long story short, I feel your pain.

Reaction score
I like the version I have, it's certainly user friendly and does its job very well. the only drawback is the 2013 version is for Western Digital hard drives. I have no problems with W.D. HDs, I own 2 Dell desk tops, Dell Laptops, 2 external USB HDs all are Western Digital and are very reliable.

Reaction score
My version before getting Acronis 2016 was DiscWizard used with Seagate. The only reason I bought Acronis was the new version of DiscWizard had this same confusion. I was hoping the confusion was confined to Seagate DsicWizard. I'm satisfied with only using the bootable media. No confusion as to what you are backing up or restoring.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is no excuse dumbing software down in this fashion.
Couldn't agree more.
I did a fair amount of ranting..... for all the good it did me.
I very often do the same.
Boot from the rescue media and just create disk images of all three of my physical disk off-line. I actually prefer to do it that way on my production machine.
Seems there are less things contesting for system resources when the machine is off line with just acronis running.

Reaction score
I am still using Acronis 2011 as it saves the backup without the rats tail the versions 2012 and higher always attach to it (mainly version and sequence #). I have Acronis 2014 as well (purchased) but do not use it much (I got it cause of the UEFI support, which 2011 does not have).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it saves the backup without the rats tail the versions 2012 and higher always attach to it (mainly version and sequence #).
I remember the first time I saw the added garbage associated with my backup, thinking where the heck did that name come from.
While I can appreciate the need for the added detail with respect to incremental and or differential backups..... All my images are single version images of entire physical disks kept on multiple external resources, so it seems a bit unnecessary from my perspective.

Regedit32

Reaction score
On a side note to this thread, I see Acronis have a pending patent for real-time protection against Ransomware which will be offered to those purchasing their product.

This protection is compatible with Windows 10 Firewall and Defender meaning the User can continue to use both plus run this new real-time protection from Acronis.

Sounds promising!

Ask a Question